1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like a guy but...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LanguageLearner, Oct 28, 2014.

1. LanguageLearner

There's this guy in one of my classes. He's smart, funny, good looking and I think I might like him.

I have checked out his social media profiles, and I think he is gay. I found two coming out posts and his "about me" section says interested in men.

However, I got a couple problems. He is an exchange student. He is only here for the school year. Also, I am incompetent and have no experience in dating someone.

I don't know what to do. If he is only here for the year, should I still pursue something with him? How would I go about doing that? Thank you for your advice. :slight_smile:

2. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a fellow nitwit when it comes to relationships, I can offer some suggestions. Firstly, do not approach the "Are you gay?" issue with him until you have already established a friendship. Asking that question can be an immediate red flag in some people's minds. Second, sometimes a friendship is better than a "relationship" (in quotes because a friendship is technically a form of relationship). If you two can get to be pretty close, you don't have to worry about dating at all because, frankly, you're already as close as two people can get without putting a title on it, and when you really think about it, the title isn't even necessary. That also avoids the struggles of an "official" long-distance relationship, with which I have no experience but I have heard to be incredibly difficult. You two can keep in touch, but you don't have to worry about the other stuff involved with a LDR.

I hope this helps. This is pretty much what I tell most people in this situation, because it is what I have found works for me. Your case may be entirely different, but I've kept strong friendships with two girls who have had a crush on me and a guy upon whom I've had a crush for a long time, and I would say I'm pretty damn lucky to have those multiple friendships over one possible "relationship."

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should first come out to him since he seems like a good person to confide in, but don't get your hopes up about anything more than a short term friendship.

4. zygnomic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with what Swimscotty said, the best thing you can do is just try and be his friends for now. The next thing i would do is get closer, learn about him and what you guys share in common. Then Decide if its worth pursuing.

Long Distance Relationships are very difficult, not impossible but hard. They usually work out best the longer the couple has been together before they are separated by distance. And obviously both parties, need to work and want to be in it for it to work