1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight guys won't be my friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bornthiswaybby, Oct 28, 2014.

1. bornthiswaybby

I hate to generalize, but in general, at my school, straight guys don't want to be the "gay guy"'s friend. I'm a masculine guy, I'm popular amongst the girls in my school, but for some reason none of the straight guys ever want to be my friend. I've tried making conversation with many of them and they're always distant and hesitant to converse with me, and I don't know why. Is it weird? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I don't get it.

2. Gen

Gen

You aren't doing anything wrong. They are probably distant because they don't want others to associate you and your sexuality with them, or some other childish excuse. My experiences with those types of people haven't been as widespread, but they definitely aren't rare. My advice would be not to feel obligated to gain their companionship, but don't allow their hesitation to affect how you interact with others. Don't expect to receive their approval or be treated the same, but don't prevent yourself from showing friendliness or kindness to them that you expect to receive back.

It is no different than with people who make assumptions based on race. The best way to combat them is treat them with double the courtesy and friendliness that they initially direct towards you.

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gen is right. Perhaps they are uncomfortable with being friends with someone who is openly gay but that says more about their faults and insecurities than anything about you. The other possibility is that some of them are just awkward teenage boys who don't really know how to make conversation! Guys that age can be surprisingly socially inept when it comes to making new friends. Don't let it upset you, either way. :slight_smile: You're doing nothing wrong!

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if I was straight I wouldn't want to be seen with a gay guy simply because of social norms. Your friends list could be affected, and chatter would go around. I wouldn't like that, I don't think anyone likes that. If you are seen hanging out with gay individuals, that makes you stand out, and not everyone likes standing out when it comes to LGBT.

5. Tardis2020

Because to most idiots, I mean people, being friends with a gay guy means:
    1. The straight guy is also gay
    2. The gay guy wants to have sex with/date the straight guy
    People are dumb.