1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting someone as a demisexual

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Fafner, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Fafner

So, confession time; I'm almost 25 years old, and have never been in anything remotely resembling a relationship. I just found out recently about demisexuality, and it made me understand more about my own feelings. I've never been a "going-out-to-get-laid"-dude, never seen any appeal in having a one-night stand, and generally don't like to go out, because I just can't relate to the idea of being attracted to some random person I might meet. But even though I identify as demisexual, I still miss having someone in my life, for a multitude of reasons, and the few times I've been in love has made me realize that I really do want a relationship. I know this isn't very coherent, but my question is, for my fellow demisexuals: How do you meet someone, when you feel alienated from all the scenes where people go to meet others? People say "just wait, and the right one will come along", but look where that got me. I guess what I mean is, how can I get proactive, without doing something I'm not comfortable with?

Peace, or at least something equivalent,

Ghorgh

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I dislike labeling myself as such, but I guess you could call me demisexual.
    Can't say I ever feel attracted to random people or people I don't know. Wouldn't say I need to know them on a best friend level, but there always needs to be a connection first.
    So I hope I count!

In any case, the best advice I can give is to focus on being, in general, a bit sociable.

There's more ways of doing so than just the bar scene or the dating scene. Those are focused on "quickly meeting people for possibly more than a drink", so they won't work for you.

But there are other things you can do that get you in contact with people! Most towns or cities have things you can join. A book club, a sports club, a historical society, a theater group, evening classes in French or Spanish, charities, volunteer work...
    Those aren't focused on dating. They're more focused on developing your skills, and doing things you like doing.
    But... they do have the benefit of also getting you in touch with people who have similar interests. So at the very least, you will be able to connect with many of them, even if only just as good acquaintances.

Is that a guarantee that one of those would be a suitable romantic interest? Not precisely. But finding a suitable partner is always a numbers game. You need to meet X people before meeting one you're interested in. and only a fraction of them will feel the same towards you. So the best you can do is get out regularly, and build connections to people. And even if you won't find a suitable romantic partner in the book club, some of them might have friends with similar interests to introduce you to, expanding your pool of potential friends further.

Also... worst thing that happens is that you'll have a few active and fun evenings and make some friends. That's not half bad either!

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a bisexual demisexual myself. I can't imagine myself being sexual with someone I don't know well, it feels wrong. Like you said, "going out to get laid" is something I would never do.

I met someone and he is my boyfriend now. I met him on EC. =) He is the love of my life and I can imagine myself being sexual with him (easily). He's the only one who makes me feel that way. :icon_bigg

Personally, I didn't focus on relationships at all, I would say I even thought it was a bit impractical for me since I really want to move out (I don't want to live in this country). But things happened, and he is the best thing that has happened to me. :icon_bigg

My advice is, if you want to find someone, you can try to talk to people you like. Don't go with the intention to get sexual, try to be friends. =) Because true friends can start to become more than just friends, at least, that's what happened to me. :icon_bigg Try to make friends, open up a conversation. =)

Good luck!

4. Fafner

Yeah, I don't 100% identify with it as well, I'm pretty much like you in that regard.

You're right, I need to get out more and meet people. I'm introvert to the extreme, so I guess there's no way I'm gonna meet anyone without going out of my comfort zone anyway :wink: I guess one of my biggest problems is that, with the "approach" I have, of becoming friends before anything else, most people (OK, all people) don't really consider me as "dating material" (I hate to use that term, but you know what I mean).

I'm glad you met someone :grin: That's I'm hoping for as well :slight_smile:

Thanks for your replies, guys :slight_smile: