1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get over a crush on an aromantic friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Duckling, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Duckling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, there's this girl. We've been friends for about 11 years now, and now I am pretty sure that I am in love with her. However, she is pretty sure that she is aromantic, and has stated that even if she did feel romantic attraction, she would be straight, so our friendship isn't going anywhere romantically. I'm fine with that. I want her to be happy, and being with me will not make her happy.

So that brings up the question of how to get over it. I started developing a crush on her when I was 12, and by the time I was 14, I thought it had gone away for a few years, but it came back this year stronger than ever. She announced that she was going to college a few states away, I thought that it would be a good opportunity to meet other people and get over it, but now instead of just being in love with her, I'm in love with her and always sad because she's so far away and I can't see her.

I've also tried thinking of her flaws, but that isn't working, either. Yes, she's stubborn, but so am I. Yes, we have different religious beliefs, but that honestly doesn't bother me. Nothing about her really bothers me...

So, if distance and trying to focus on flaws aren't working, how can I get over this?

2. starfishjump

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey :slight_smile:. I've had a similar struggle to you so i know how difficult it can be and have asked the same question many times. I'm no expert but i think maybe it takes falling in love with someone else to really get over it. If your experience is anything like mine you'll probably find that you aren't interested in anyone else but if u keep meeting new people anyway and keep developing your other relationships eventually you'll form a close bond with someone who you can have a rromantic relationship with. Hope this helps. Good luck.