1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really like a guy but he's straight and I want to tell him! NEED ADVICE!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Alex K, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Alex K

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll try and keep this short. I'm in my first year in university and I'm living on residents. There's a guy on my floor who I really like. He has a soft, kind voice which I really like about him and I can't stop thinking about him. One of my friends on the floor thought he was gay when she met him but then he introduced his gf to her and she was surprised (why couldn't she be right!). I've only talked to him a couple times but I want to tell him I like him. I came out to that friend I mentioned and told her to tell anyone on the floor who asks or just mention it to them because I want to be out to more people. I don't know if he already knows but I'm an open person. If something is on my mind I need to say it.

I just want to sit with him and say something like, "Hey, I need be honest with you. I don't know if anyone's told you yet but I'm gay." Then after say, "I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable around me but I need to tell you that I like you. I tend to speak my mind and I needed to tell you. I know you have a gf and I want to be friends and I guess those feelings will go away if we hang out more."

Any advice on my situation? Perhaps on what I should say or how to say it? I bumped into him today and now I have this urge to tell him. Thanks everyone.

2. Chriswe

To me, it sounds like you already know what to do. That sounds like the perfect things to say. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ditto, seems like your plan makes all the sense in the world. Go for it!

4. iiimee

Tell him, and hopefully he'll be a nice guy who won't criticize you! There are jerks like that, and I hate them! Even if somebody likes you and you don't like them, you don't laugh in their face! I have never been rejected, but I've rejected others. I hate it when people are jerks about it. Several people like that hurt my friends... wow, I totally went off topic. He seems nice, so I'd go for it. Hopefully you two can be friends if nothing else!

5. Skov

Hi,

I'm going to disagree with what others have posted here. I don't think that you should say this to him. If you want to come out to him, that's totally fine, and I hope that he is supportive. However, I don't think you should make it known that you like him especially when you know that he has a girlfriend.

There are plenty of guys that I am attracted to that I know for a fact are gay, but I don't tell them that I like them if I know that they are dating someone. It comes across as rude. I've had people hit on me that said the line "we can still be friends" after I said I wasn't interested. The problem is that since they have admitted to liking me, I don't feel like I can ever truly be just friends with them because I feel like they'll always be feeling something more for me or I'd just be stringing them along allowing them to cling to this false sense of hope for a relationship to develop.

I'm not trying to make you feel down, but I honestly cannot see any possible positive outcome to the situation you're describing. I would just try to get to know him as a friend IF you feel like you can do so without torturing yourself. When you're friends, you can come out to him if you wish, and he will know where your attraction lies. If he happens to break up with his girlfriend, then it would be appropriate to admit that you like him.

However, I wouldn't necessarily suggest doing this. I think it would almost be like torturing yourself. I know this sounds cliche, but there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

#5 Skov, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Skov. If he appears to be straight (doesn't have to), then don't try to pursue a relationship. You can consider coming out to him, but do that first before saying anything about feelings. That way you give him some breathing room.

7. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Having been in a very similar situation myself, I can honestly say that it depends entirely on the person at hand and how well you guys know one another. I just recently told my friend that I have a crush on him, even though I knew he had a girlfriend. He took it quite well, and said he wasn't really surprised and had even kind of suspected. We've also known each other for five years and are already very close friends. Had we not been as close or known one another as well as we do, his reaction could have been very different. From what you've said above, it sounds like you guys don't know each other that well; for that reason, I would say you probably shouldn't tell him just yet. Get to know him better before you drop that bombshell, that way he has time to get to know you and not just think you're either a) a creep or b) only interested in sleeping with him (I don't like it, but that preconception does sadly exist).

That's just my advice. What's right for me may be and likely is quite different than what's right for you. If you want to chat more, feel free to drop me a wall post or PM anytime.