1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing my best friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Emory, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Emory

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi all- seeking some advice here. I am a female, I have dated women but have only dated men recently. Nobody in my life really knows about the women I've dated and I am generally surrounded by individuals who do not identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender.

Except for my best friend who is gay. We have been friends for many years. I supported him when he came out to our friends and his parents. I dropped my books in front of his secret crush so that my friend would have an excuse to strike up conversation. Went on winter and summer vacations together. Partners in crime. After he came out, he began hanging out with other gay men more, which is great! He was so happy and he made friends who could relate to him. After a while though, we weren't even talking on the phone. He didn't invite me when he had friends over anymore. He didn't ask me to go out to clubs anymore.

So, I'm not really sure what's happening. I don't want there to be a divide between us. I'm not sure if he is just really involved with trying to find himself or if I don't fit into his life anymore. I honestly don't know and I won't make any assumptions. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.

2. one and only

I have a friend she use to be my person my best friend. We were always together. Her family took me in when I had no where to go. Eventually life took us on different paths. She started making friends outside our circle and I did the same. We went to different colleges the only thing was they were in the same town and we still lived together. Eventually she started doing her own things and it sucked, I was happy for her too but at the sometime I felt left out and a little forgotten. I moved out and we slowly drifted further apart. Talk to your friend and let him know what you are feeling. I feel that if I had communicated with my friend then maybe things could have been different today.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really sorry about this. I think the main thing is to realize many friendships don't last forever. I think some article said 7 years is the magic number for a life-long friendship. I agree that you should talk to your friend. He may not even be realizing this separation because he's meeting so many new people, but it sounds like you two had something special.

4. Blossom85

I agree with Resu, I think sometimes friendships don't last forever.. I only still really talk to one or two of my friends from school on a regular basis.. But I think you should talk to your friend as he might not even realize it and might not be aware of how you would be feeling. Talking to him might just kick start your friendship again.