1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about my first real relationship!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Randomer19937, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Randomer19937

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm completely new to this, however I really don't have anyone in my life who I can talk to about this and it's plaguing my mind almost every day.

So I'm 21, I've been straight the majority of my life until around the age of 16 when I started to have thoughts about a guy in my class, I never told the guy and thought nothing of it at the time, a few years later I started to experiment with a friend and realised that I liked guys just as much as I liked girls, and as such I started to venture outside of the box.

Then we get to September of this year, I met a guy that made me feel things I had never felt before, within the first week of chatting we had arranged to go out and get to know eachother face to face, we went for a lovely walk on the beach full of awkward glances at eachother followed by smiles, later that week we found ourselves in a text conversation at about 10pm, about half an hour later he had convinced me to go to his place, this is something I'd never do on a 2nd date however something about him made me feel safe going to his house, I got to his place and we sat on the sofa for a while, which followed by that awkward first hug, to cuddle, then the first kiss, and well... things continued and I ended up spending the night and the majority of the next day with him before returning home. After that night we met up several more times sometimes twice a week and we'd text most days, come the last week of September he suprised me with a weekend away for my 21st, we spent the weekend in a lovely hotel that couldn't of been cheap and I pretty much had the best birthday I think I've ever had.

Then we get to the problem, on the way home I started to get a little deep, telling him that I was having some pretty crazy feelings about him that I hadn't had before, his response wasn't all too supportive of those feelings and that I was being a little silly, and how there was plenty of time to talk about that kinda stuff later on. He dropped me off and I just had a gut feeling that something was off, about two weeks passed before we had met up again, although meeting up was amazing as it was any other time I still had those feelings on my mind, I said nothing and just enjoyed the moment.

About a week after the last time we met up we had planned to go see a film, however he didn't show up, I texted him and to my dismay I received a text back saying that he thinks we should call it a day on our 'relationship' this pretty much stuck a knife in my heart, his reasons were that he just didn't have the time with work and uni to be able to commit to me as much as he felt he should be, after a few texts back and forth we agreed to just take it steady until things settled down and he had more time.

Then we started to hit bumps, he restricted my access on Facebook so that I couldn't see any of his posts, this pretty much ment nothing to me as I never really looked at Facebook anyways, however it raised red lights to my friends but I still thought nothing of it. In the following weeks we really havn't spoke as much as we used too despite my heartbreak and desperate attempts to see him face to face and tell him how I'm feeling, we've spoke on the phone once since, my friends and family say that I'm being jerked around or perhaps he's cheating on me, but deep down I know that there is something between us, that his reasons are genuine, but with the constant doubts of my family and friends I'm not sure what to think.

This is my first ever real relationship, I fell head over heels for this guy, he's made me feel comfortable in my own skin, inspired me to do more with my life than what I was doing, as well as just feeling safe, like nothing could touch me, I'm not quite sure how I could cope if this is in fact his way of silently ending it. Please Help! :tears:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC. First, I can imagine how difficult this must be for you. And I also know what it's like to have those first-relationship feelings.

Unfortunately, I think your friends and family are correct. Someone who wanted a relationship with you and is authentic and genuine would have no reason to restrict your access to his profile.

Additionally, he directly told you that he wanted to end the relationship, but from what you are describing, it sounds like you weren't willing to take "no" for an answer, so it sounds like he basically is trying to let you down easy... again, someone who was interested in further pursuing things would be talking on the phone more frequently and would not avoid any in-person visits, no matter how busy he was. So he really coudln't be any more clear... except that you aren't taking any of the signs he's sending you.

What really sucks here is that, since this is your first relationship, it's going to hurt unbelievably to acknowledge that it is ending. But I think that's what you need to do. It's also important to understand that likely your actions had little or nothing to do with his decision; he may simply not have been ready for any sort of real relationship, or didn't feel strong chemistry, or something just didn't click; that's how relationships work.

As hard as it is, I think you need to let go and begin the process of moving on from this relationship.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This may be your first, but don't think it's your last relationship. Just, focus on bettering yourself for the next guy (maybe this one or someone even better!).