1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homophobic comments from family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Curtis16, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Curtis16

Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't come out to my family, and I don't even know about my gender/orientation, but I have like a perfect recollection of all the homophobic comments my family has ever made and it makes it harder to imagine telling them anything. The thing is, I used to be very judgmental too because that's how I was raised so I don't blame them, it's just a tough situation.
    The other day my little sisters were watching some tv show and in the show the main character introduced this gay couple that was making out. They stopped kissing for a second to say hello and then resumed. My dad said "Ew, what are you guys watching? Do I need to remove computer privileges if you keep watching stuff like this? No one wants to see gay guys kiss!" Then he went on to talk to me about it, looking for validation of his point, and I just didn't say anything. Maybe I should have though, idk.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if your dependant on them for support IE food, roof, bed, etc. you might be better off protecting yourself. if your on your own then come out in your own time.

just my .02

3. Curtis16

Out Status:
    A few people

I think that's a valuable 2 cents. I don't think I would come out to them while I'm living with them. My wife and I are staying there while we fix our place up. I mentioned in another thread how they are very judgmental in general. Like judging us for watching "inappropriate" movies and for being lazy and/or selfish. But I bet if I came out to them they'd judge me but never tell me. They want to think they are very righteous and judging "gays" is bad. So they'd say they accept me and say to themselves they accept me, but they wouldn't. They couldn't because it goes against their beliefs. Then they'd be all nice to me and basically pity me, which would be worse than their current judgments.

4. Blossom85

I don't have any advice other then to just keep it safe till you aren't as dependent on them and not living with them anymore.. I am sorry that your parents are so judgmental and that you know they won't accept you and will just pity you. I wish I had better words of advice for you, I just can't imagine how you would be feeling. You are safe here though and even though I don't know what you are going through or how you feel, if you ever need to talk.. I am here.