1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance lesbian relationship - slowly destroying me and need advice

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by fallingKite, Nov 6, 2014.

1. fallingKite

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm new here and need some serious advice.

I've been in a long distance relationship with a straight girl (or who thought she was straight) for over a year now and everything is falling apart.
    It all started unexpectedly. I wasn't looking for a relationship at the time. We met online as friends and she was the one who initiated. I was really hesitant and not sure if it was a good idea. She seemed to absolutely want it and I gave in.
    I didn't expect it to last. We had fights over her sexuality and my lack of trust in it. She's never had a relationship of any kind (before me) and I was very uneasy about that. She insisted over and over that what she felt for me was real. I was hoping she'd realize she's bi but instead she says I'm her exception.

We've shared pictures, talked on the phone, skyped. But from the beginning she wanted me to visit her. The problem is she's over a thousand miles away and I didn't feel ready.
    It's a mix of reasons with one of them being that I was afraid meeting would change everything and destroy us. I was afraid of losing her and the powerful emotional connection we have.

I hesitated too long because I found out recently that she met a guy. It was a very surprising and unpleasant way of finding out, but she (and her friends) swear she hasn't cheated and she told me she planned to tell me once she figured out exactly what her feelings are for him. He admitted to having feelings for her. She said she cares for him but is in love with me, and that she would still choose me.

I ended things immediately and she was devastated. She tells me she doesn't want to live without me in her life, but at this point she's unwilling to give up this 'friendship' with the guy. I think she's really given up hope for us but at the same time doesn't want to let go of me. She says she'll always have some hope that there could be a future for us.
    She's also begging me to visit her still and this is where I'm torn.
    Should I do it? Should I take that risk and just find out what would happen? But then I wonder if I'm just an idiot to even hope.

I feel sick over this whole thing. I can hardly sleep or concentrate at work. I've cried...I've drank. She admitted that she could see herself falling for this guy and that he reminds her of me. I have nightmares about her with him. She claims that if I visited her she'd choose me, but until then she isn't giving him up. She even suggested an open relationship even though neither of us believe in them.

I don't know what to do. She still doesn't want to let go of me and I still love her.

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

This whole situation seems pretty fishy to me as well...first of all, she considers herself to be straight which is a bad sign. I know she initiated it, but would you really want to be with someone that isn't sure of themselves and considers you an 'exception'?

And she's obviously interested in this other guy which would spell out heartbreak for you (especially since she suggested an open relationship).

I do think you should let her go and you've done the right thing by doing so. It'll hurt for now, but the pain will be worse if you stay and get caught in a bad situation.

I've been in many long distance relationships of similar situations, so I empathize with you, I relate to wanting to hold on....but I'm glad now I let them go because it just would have been a miserable situation.

Hugs for you!

3. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi!

Long distance relationships are a lot of work. I got out of one a couple months ago and i can say that it's a very painful kind of relationship, even when you those skype moments are the best thing in your life. It's terrible not to be able to be with or touch the person.

So you've never met the girl? Has she ever been with a girl before? It's a very risky decision to go see her if this relationship is that troubled. Why can't she go see you?

I think when you see the person in real life it's a lot easier and less complicated than online, but if you never met her it's harder to tell if this is going to work.

4. fallingKite

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's exactly my fear. I guess I'm still in shock at this point because I really started believing in her, and us.
    I think her feelings for me are genuine but I sense heartbreak in the future even though part of me wonders 'what if'. A few people have suggested I'll regret it if I don't go there and give it a try. But when I consider it I think of this guy she likes.

Thank you for your support.

I really have no desire for another long distance relationship. They're excruciating unless you can find a way to actually be together.

Our relationship is so complicated even apart from it being long distance....it's just so hard to give up on someone I actually love and believed in.

5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My basic attraction is for women but I am in a relationship with a guy, so I know an exception is possible. I have friends of both the same and opposite sex. I don't however have a romantic relationship with any of them except my S.O. My BF hasn't asked me to give up my friends because he knows I am faithful, and he is faithful to me.

I'm also currently in a long distance relationship, but the foundation of our relationship started before it became long distance. Plus, I know what I am, and i know what he is. I know some people do it the other way around, start out LD and then meet and things work out great. The fact that she's suggesting an open relationship though makes me think that she is attracted to this guy also, despite her saying she isn't.

6. fallingKite

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was really starting to believe we could make it work. I was starting to trust that she really wanted to be with me even if I'm not her preferred gender. And then I found out about this guy...

I know she likes him. She claims this only happened because I won't visit her, and that it has nothing to do with gender. She says she needs me there or else she has to move on.
    But she never mentioned spending time with this guy to me. I found out through one of her friends by accident. She made a choice to not mention when she'd go out with him, so she was hiding it from me.

7. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it's okay to like a guy, or a girl. I guess it depends on how she likes him, and how he likes her. If it's just a platonic friendship it shouldn't matter whether you are there or not. She says she needs you there or else she has to move on but after you visit her what will you do? Is she going to be satisfied with just a visit, or will she need you to move there?

I think the comment about "She says she needs me there or else she has to move on" is more to do with the long distance than the guy. Long distance relationships are hard sometimes, and not everyone is cut out for it. I personally hate that my S.O. is on the other side of the world and he doesn't like it either. (and visiting isn't an option) We happen to get through it because it's a temporary situation in a long term relationship. If it wasn't an already established long term relationship I'm not sure it would work, at least for us.

I don't know if her not mentioning it is hiding it or not, because if it's truly just a friendship it shouldn't matter. The comment though about an "open relationship" though implies she wants it to be more than that.