1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Date Advice

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gay4ever, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Gay4ever

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys!

Tomorrow I will be going on a first date with my new boyfriend. I met him online on a website my friend told me about that shall not be named. He lives two hours away and will be driving up to get to know me better. We have only really began messaging each other lately, we plan on skyping later tonight. This is really my first date but I already made the safety precautions since I did meet him online. How should I act out in public with him? I'm not sure if I should act the same way I do when I skype him or not. This is really gonna be our first time to meet in person so I want to make it perfect. I'm not sure what I should tell my mom because I met him online. I don't want her to get worried over me when I'm on a date with him. All we planned really was just going downtown and walking with each other. Any other ideas on how to start a conversation to, I feel bad because he is the one that starts all the conversation when I can barely come up with any. Please feel free to give any advice you can.

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey! Good to see another guy from Massachusetts on here. :slight_smile:

As long as you're going to be hanging out in a public place you should be okay, but it sounds like you already have that covered. For what it's worth I think just walking around town is perfect since it gives you an opportunity to just talk and get to know each other without any real constraints.

Since you're already out to everybody I would recommend just being honest with your mom, but I know that can be a tough thing to do as some parents can be paranoid about that kind of thing (and sadly, rightly so in some cases). At the very sure at least make sure a close friend or someone you can trust knows where you are and how to get in touch with you. If you can gather up the courage though I think you're better off just getting it over with. If you hit it off and enter a relationship you'll have to admit how you met eventually and at least this way you won't shatter any trust you've built up.

As for initiating conversation, just be yourself. You don't have to force yourself to try and appear incredibly interesting; sometimes it's nice to know that someone else is comfortable enough with you that they don't have to try to impress you. I wouldn't worry about it much right now since you're only just meeting for the first time, but it's important to eventually balance things out. If he always has to approach you that may make him think you're not as interested as he is which is clearly not the case considering you started this thread.

Anyways, good luck! I hope you two get along great and have instant chemistry in person. :slight_smile:

3. Gay4ever

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice, but I was actually coming back here to delete the post. It ended up he was just playing me.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How old is he? It's good you're taking precautions. Make sure to tell others where you're going and the relative timeframe. Maybe you should choose something more concrete than just walking. (maybe I'm just a little worried since you're sixteen) I think if you trust your mom, you should be honest to her that you're going to hang out with this guy. Why do you have a hard time starting a conversation? Do you have any shared interests?

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2014 at 08:34 PM ----------

:frowning2: Sorry about that update.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2014 at 08:34 PM ----------

Actually, I think you should leave this thread for others who may be in a similar situation.

5. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If that's the case, I have much better advice -- don't be so quick to meet somebody without knowing anything about him! You're only 16 and there's a lot of people out there who might try to take advantage of that. Please make sure to find someone you can genuinely, justifiably trust first.

6. Gay4ever

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, and I will take ur advice. It just sucks because its so hard to find a gay guy where I live so I have to resort being hooked up by friends, or social media.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2014 at 09:50 PM ----------

Okay, I will leave the thread. Thanks for the advice as well.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't there anyone at your school? I always thought of Massachusetts being a very liberal state where there should be a lot of out kids in school.

8. Gay4ever

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for late response, but I've been dealing with personal issues. And no not really, where I live is a very conservative town so the guys that are gay aren't out yet.