1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by blackvelvet, Nov 9, 2014.

1. blackvelvet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in my late 30's. Had always decided that I wouldn't 'come out' unless I found the right person. I'm so lucky and have found the most amazing girl who I want to spend the rest of my life with. So a couple of months ago - I told my Mum (I wrote it in a letter). She has taken it so badly. Told me that things will never be the same between us and how ashamed of me she is. I know that she has told my sister who will now not see me or talk to me. I'm just devastated. Does anyone have any advice or even just words of wisdom please? I must add that my Mother lives with me. This makes it so much more difficult and means I have to sneak off to see my girlfriend like it's some dirty secret. My sister has said she will only come to visit our mother when i am not at home.

#1 blackvelvet, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have the option of moving out? If your mother is making you feel bad about yourself, it make make it easier to have you own space and keep your distance from her.

3. blackvelvet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I had but I have a mortgage on the house (a big one) and couldn't afford to rent/buy a second property

4. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi and welcome to EC

Sorry to hear of your situation.

If you have a mortgage on the property I am assuming it is your house,if this is the case then I would suggest you set some house rules.If this is your house or you are paying for it,then you have to tell your mother that she has to respect your decision to date who you like.This is her problem not yours,if she cannot accept it maybe she should go live with your sister as they seem so close.

All the best,but stand up for yourself!

5. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    From what I'm gathering, this is your house. You pay the mortgage, and thus you deserve to come home to a place that is safe and comfortable for you.

To that end, set some house rules. Tell her she needs to respect you and who you love. Tell her you won't tolerate disrespect, name-calling, or gossip. Tell her that you're the same woman you've always been, because you are. Nothing has changed.

If she can't respect your boundaries, tell her she needs to find someplace else to live because you can't have your girlfriend over if she's going to be so negative.

Good luck!