1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaking to parents about visiting the psychologist.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by shinji, Nov 11, 2014.

1. shinji

shinji Guest

*off topic* - Think i've posted a story here, guess it was deemed too "personal" for approval.

Anyway, short version:

I told my mom that i was visiting a psychologist and why i was doing it (well, not the whole reason, just the "feeling depressed, panic attacks, social anxiety" part.

And she was weirdly okay with it, after explaining she was somewhat skeptical but accepted it.

The problem now is that she's worried, and... just fails to grasp the concept. Basically she views this as a "disease" that i am working on curing. It's like, she thinks, all this "just happened" out of the blue...

Anyway, so today she calls me and asks if i went to the doctor (notice, she said doctor) and i said that i didn't because my appointment is tomorrow. But before i told her that, she demanded that i tell her, what we were talking about...

Is it normal for a parent to request such information?! When i denied her, i could tell she immediately went into rage/cry mode and... i sort of tried "fixing" things by telling her that "okay, fine, i'll tell you".

So, now i don't know what to do... Help?