1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time with a guy!! A bit sad and confused!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by nicc, Nov 13, 2014.

1. nicc

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey! I am a 19 years old guy. I am bisexual and that made it easier to remain closeted. The post might be a bit long, I just really need to talk with someone, and since I am still closeted thus talking to my friends unfortunately is not an option, I decided to post here.

So here how the story goes. I had been with a couple of girls before but never with a guy. I always kinda knew that I liked guys too but I was just quite good at suppressing it. A month ago, I decided to initiate contact with a guy from uni that I liked and I knew he was gay (he wasn't closeted), just to see how it goes. We were texting for quite a while and I invited him on a date. The first date went quite well and ended with a hug. We talked a bit about everything from future dreams to childhood experiences. Since I don't really look or act in a flamboyant way and most of my friends are straight guys, I felt really nice being able to be truthful about myself for the first time of my life.

We kept talking for a while and we arranged a second date. We had again discussions about anything you can imagine, we drunk quite a bit and ended up at his for a movie. At his we had a really nice time. We made out for quite a while and did everything apart from sex, which I told him that I need more time for that, and was perfectly fine about it. After we finished we kept talking and cuddling till I had to leave.

He invited me again a few days after at his to continue the movie. This time we actually watched the movie and then had fun too. It was quite nice, because he was quite loving and apart from the physical part we had a quite nice connection too.

After a few days he invited me for a coffee and he told me it would be better to stop it. He apologised for saying that, especially since I am in the transitional phase before coming out and that it is just because of him. I acted quite cool and we kept talking for like an hour after that about general shit and by the end we said we could still be friends (but he explicitly mentioned that we would have to keep it that way). In the end he invited me to his birthday party as a friend.

I am obviously a bit sad because I quite liked him and he clearly said that we should stop seeing that way. It was though a nice experience, just because it helped me actually realise some things about myself and we had some fun. First of all what do you think went wrong? Do you think I should keep in touch with him, even as a friend or will it just be too hard? I wouldn't mind much because it feels nice knowing that I could still be able to have someone to talk, knowing that I am not straight. On the other hand, I assume it will be hard to keep my emotions detached for too long.

Any advice/opinion is really appreciated :grin:

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Aw, I'm sorry! It does sound like for whatever reason, he's not comfortable with the relationship. Even though it feels like a bit of a stab in the heart, I really wouldn't take it personally. I don't think you did anything wrong, and if you analyse it too much you'll just feel miserable, and there's probably nothing you could have changed.

It's good that you see it as a positive experience, it means that it's opened the door for another relationship, and next time both of you will be on the same page! As for if it's too difficult to keep him as a friend; only you can answer that one. It may take time to let go of the potential relationship you might have had, but as you say- at least he will be there to support you as a friend.

I'm sorry it didn't lead to what you wanted - but exploring your sexuality is a learning experience, and there are plenty of really nice guys (and girls) out there, just waiting for you to come along. :slight_smile:

3. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Some people just don't click in bed, sometimes it's as simple as that. You could just ask him, though the "it's not you, it's me line" could be meant to buffer you from whatever IT is. But, it probably is something that just isn't clicking for him, between you two.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey nicc, welcome to EC!

You should be proud that you took a chance with him "just to see how it goes". Admittedly, it didn't work out, but for what it's worth, even though it hurts a little, he was honest with you and acted appropriately.

Consider yourself lucky that you learned something about yourself with him and with guys in general, this is valuable in itself. Hopefully, one day you will find the courage to come out and live an open life. When one comes out of the closet, a lot of interesting things start to happen, I wish you all the best, post often and learn!

5. bornthiswaybby

For me, continuing talking would just be bad because I'm not good with getting over people. So I would suggest taking a little break from talking until you feel ready. And also, I don't think you did anything wrong. I agree with what someone above said, it could just be that you two didn't "click" in bed or while kissing or in general. Or maybe something else. Either way, I'm sure you did nothing wrong :slight_smile: Don't stress about what went wrong, sometimes it just doesn't work out. You gained experience with a guy and that itself is wonderful, and next time you'll be in slightly more familiar territory, right? :slight_smile: Cheer up and try not to dwell too much. You'll feel much better soon.

Also, please, post on this site when you need advice. It can be really helpful with self acceptance and coming out, and when you feel like you have nobody to talk to, the site is always here :slight_smile:

6. nicc

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the responses guys. :slight_smile:

It definitely was a cool experience and got something out of it. The whole thing also helped to properly come out to myself, which i think is an important step.

Now regarding what happened, I am pretty sure, without getting into details, that our physical encounter went pretty well. Maybe one thing that I did wrong, was that I was too direct with him. I told him from the beginning that I liked him, I was always texting back quite fast, and generally showed interest. Anyways you are right though, so many factors could be behind his decision that it is kinda meaningless to try analyse it.

I am not as sad as confused, just because I didn't expect it and I am usually quite good analysing situations. I already feel better, so I think I will be over it after a while. I will let a view days pass and I will see whether I am going to be able to continue it as a friendship.

The community in this forum looks quite cool :slight_smile:

7. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Only way to really know is to talk to him. You could be direct with him, say, I'm new to this, and I want to know what didn't click, to help me in the future.

Or just stay friends, and ask for advice going forward.

8. nicc

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey guys!

I was just thinking the whole situation again and I though the best thing would be just to make it clear to him that although I enjoyed a lot the non physical part of what we had, I am not looking forward for a friendship, since I am still kinda attracted to him. Although from the little I knew him I really liked him as a person, I think the most honest and clear thing to do is just to stop it. Would you agree? (i know its a totally personal decision, but some subjective opinions wouldn't hurt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

Also I already started talking with someone else. Nothing serious but I am still quite young, the right thing with a guy/girl will happen at some point (I would like to believe :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Its kinda funny, since I properly came out to myself, finding other guys seems almost as easy as finding other girls. I always felt kinda ashamed of my attraction to guys, but this has started to change :grin: .

(This forum feels almost like psychoanalysis, just by writing down what's in my mind I feel better)

9. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

That sounds like a very healthy path to choose

That last line is right too, exactly what I've found.

10. bornthiswaybby

I don't know how young you mean by young but I'm going to assume around my age. I know after things don't work out with one guy, you'll wanna jump and talk to somebody new. I've been doing that since I broke up with my boyfriend, I just move on to the next one constantly. It's an unhealthy path so I would avoid doing that. I think you should maybe take it slow with the new person and see how things go :slight_smile: and yes, letting go of feelings for the first guy is likely the best choice, since he said things wouldn't work out.

11. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so happy for you, that you enjoyed it, and you want to try again. I disagree with bornthiswaybby, in the sense, that you only had a few dates. Because of that, I don't think it's the classic rebound as bornthisway was suggesting.

To be fair, some of my closest friends are people I went on a few dates with, and determined it wouldn't work out in the long run. But that is completely a personal decision and there is no 'right' or 'wrong'. If you don't feel you're ready to be just friends, there's nothing wrong with that.

Congrats :slight_smile: .