1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toxic family life

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ceasg, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Ceasg

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a sophmore in college and don't have the means to live on my own right now. Does anyone have advice for living with toxic parents? The narcissism, negativity, and pressure to conform to "God's standards" is disgusting. It's not about what makes me happy or healthy, it's what makes them happy. I'm not allowed to be my own person. I understand I've had health issues in the past and they feel the need to baby me about that (as well as frequently remind me that I have to have health insurance and what a nightmare that will be to pay for on my own)... but I'm tired of their pressure for me to agree with them when they make racist, religious, bigoty comments about people different that themselves. It's disgusting and I frankly am to the point where I want to say, "yeah? well fuck you too!". What to do??

2. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only thing you can do is sort of remove yourself mentally from the situation and count down the days until you can leave.

I found it helpful to remind myself that all of the negativity was due to their own mental issues and not mine, that I didn't have to feed into it or accept it internally.

Also, if you can find some roomates student loans can be helpful. It sucks to get yourself into debt, but it beats living with toxic parents.

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Great advice, dragon. Never let anybody live in your head rent free. The real killer is how many times we replay the tapes in our heads of what tgeyy said, hurting ourselves over and over agaiin way more than they ever could.