1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invited to a funeral

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by magic, Nov 16, 2014.

1. magic

im so confused. i just met a guy on a popular app for teens a week ago and he is amazing and perfect. He makes me feel like no other guy has. We were talking today and he said that he wished i was closer so we could cuddle and watch a movie. he brought up the fault in our stars (if you havent seen or read it its a love story with people who have cancer).

then he said he has a personal connection to it. his mum is dieing of cancer and only has a few days to live. i have never met him let alone any of his family. he said that he wants me to go with him to her funeral. i have no idea what to do or say

like i barley know him and dont know his family, i have never been to a funeral, and i have never lost anyone close to me. but i know that i should be there for him. i have no idea what to do or say. we were both crying just talking about it. i dont really want to go it seems disrespectful as well as everything else i said.

how am i meant to decide? what do i say to him? how can i help him?

thank you in advance

2. Silver Springs

I think that it is so beautiful that he would invite you to something that deeply personal. He definitely need someone to be close to him in this terrible time.

But it's your choice, of course. I can totally understand why you'd be uncomfortable, and I'm sure that he would too.

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's nice that he feels so close to you that he'd invite you to something so important.

However, I too would share your reservations. I think it would be a different story if you were further into your relationship. Meeting someone for the first time is a very big deal, without the added pressure of being at a family funeral! Of course you want to be there for him. In reality, I think that he will be okay if you don't go. He will have family and friends to support him.

I'm sure he'd understand if you told him that you really don't feel comfortable intruding on a personal family moment, and that he should really be with his close family so they can support each other. You can still support him in other ways.

That's just my advice though, I think it's great that you have that deep a connection already - and you obviously know the situation better than I do! I'm sorry he's going through this at his age, poor thing. (*hug*)

4. magic

Thank you both so much for replying.

I think its really amazing that he wants me to go. I was already leaning towards not going.... i feel so bad for just writing that... i want to just to be by his side to support him but i dont think i could handle it all as well as it being the first time meetin him and his family.

thank you again for replying

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what we're here for! :icon_bigg

Don't feel guilty, though. He will be okay, and get through this, even if he doesn't feel like it now. As I said, he will have family and friends surrounding him, he won't be alone. You will still be there to talk to him and comfort him in his private moments when he's feeling low, and to be honest this will be a lot more valuable to him than being there on the day. (*hug*)