1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared I'm going to lose someone and regret it later.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sek, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Sek

Sek

Well, I guess I should start this story with a little background. I met someone a few months ago who ignited a fire inside of me that refuses to die. I really like him but he doesn't want to date someone who lives far away and I'm not 100% convinced he likes me as much as I like him. Anyway, I'm really annoyed at myself because I can't let go of how I feel about him.

So flash forward a while and I meet a really sweet guy online. He's older than I am (I'm 18 and he's 22), an interesting person, nice to talk to, etc. Although I wasn't immediately attracted to him I've started to like him more. I decided I would take things really slow with him because I was having trouble forgetting this other guy. At first I was apprehensive to even add him as a friend on facebook because I felt that was a big step. Now he is interested in meeting me and has asked me a few times now. I am interested in meeting him but I'm scared/nervous. I have doubts, like if he meets me he won't like me, he compliments me a lot and there's an anxious part of me that thinks he might change his mind if he met me in person.

I keep making excuses to avoid meeting him because I'm so afraid. I don't know if that's because I'm afraid of getting hurt like I was by the last guy, or because I'm really unsure how I feel about him, or because of some other reason. I guess having my feelings hurt kind of messed up my willingness to date again.. I'm worried that because I keep making excuses he might lose interest which I don't want to happen. Also I'm worried that I might eventually hurt him because my feelings are unclear and it seems that he's interested in me. Even if we were just friends, since he moved from Italy he hasn't met many people here, and due to the nature of his job the people he does meet eventually move abroad anyway. Since I'd probably be moving away for University next year, I'm reluctant to get to know him because I'd eventually upset him. He called me his first "British" friend which made me worry about that a little more. I am more willing to enter a relationship if I'M the one who might get hurt because I really beat myself up over causing others heartbreak because, being such a sensitive person, I hate it myself.

So I guess the reason I'm posting this thread is I would really appreciate any advice or experiences you could share that might make me feel less hopeless. I don't know if my post got my message/feelings across properly, I'm sick and very sleepy right now. Thank you anyway. :slight_smile:

2. GewfyGlenn

I am in a similar situation. I have been able to express these to the guy that I am interested in, and I can give you a few tips.

Be yourself, nobody likes a phony, and it only makes it worse when you find out

No seriously, be yourself. Don't be overenthusiastic about things you normally wouldnt be just to get him to like you, it will turn around and bite you in the ass down the road.

If you are crazy nervous before the first meet, I recommend two things (I did these exact same things before I met him for the first time last week, after talking for several months) chew gum and take 10 minutes to just breathe deeply and slowly. It calms you and sets your mind on you not being in any kind of danger (thats were the nerves will well up from, you are telling yourself "I am calm and eating(chewing sensation) I would not be doing this if I was in danger").

Eye contact and smile. If you really are happy to meet him, SHOW IT.

Good luck!