1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kindness, an Essential Ingredient in Relationships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by greatwhale, Nov 18, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings!

I recently came across this article which follows up on something I saw on TV about 2 decades ago.

This was ground-breaking research done over 40 years by psychologist John Gottman:

Here are a few extracts worth mentioning:

On the concept of "bids", or requests for connection:

On its applicability to all couples:

On "scanning" one's partner:

^On the above, how many of us who've been in long-term relationships have had to endure someone who habitually looks for flaws, or reaches for the worst explanation when something goes wrong? I have! :dry:

Contempt is the primary reason couples fail:

^My ex and I literally made each other sick with autoimmune diseases...

And this, on the importance of being there not only when things go wrong, but even more importantly when they go right!

The article ends with this on the importance of kindness and generosity:

I cannot stress enough, and have often done so here, the importance of loving-kindness, of trying to see the best in the other person, of being generous when partners fail while attempting to do the right thing.

I have endured 20 years of living with a "disaster", and I was certainly no "master" in it as well. Being able to predict a marital breakup with 94% certainty is amazing, few things are that predictable.

Contempt is the No. 1 enemy of relationships, fear it!

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What an interesting post. I think that all of us know deep down that we have to be kind to our partners, and bond over the little things in life, but sometimes it feels like life gets in the way of that.

This was a nice read to put things in perspective. :slight_smile:

Ps. Y'know I really do like Goldfinches.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In contrast to my ex, if I were to point out to my best friend (of 42 years) something interesting that I just happened to notice, I know he would stop whatever he was doing and appreciate it in the same way.

You can really tell the health of a relationship by how they react to each other's good news...When done right, even expressing anger or disappointment is done kindly, focussing on communicating one's own feelings rather than pointing out the other's supposed flaws.

4. kumawool

I read that article about a week ago. Since reading it, I've been putting a little bit of extra effort to be kind, and to put that extra interest in things my boyfriend talks about... even if they're a little silly. The positive response was very encouraging, so I don't think I'm going to stop (*hug*).

Truthfully, being kind is something you should be to your partner anyway. However, over time (in my case a year), it all starts to become routine, and it's easy to stop truly appreciating the person you're with.

So reminders like this can definitely help you to take your relationship seriously.

So it's more like this :kiss: (*hug*), and less like this :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wonderful to hear that it works, and yes it is work to drag yourself away from whatever you are doing when responding to your boyfriend's "bid" for connection...but these "silly" things are what you will remember most about him, the small intimate connections that build a relationship, they are worth every moment!

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very cool!

7. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very well said, the subject is very important not only as a receiver but also as a giver. I know what it feels when you're excited about something and you get shut down or subject abruptly changed by the person who's supposed to be the closest to you. I hope that I don't do it to others myself, but God knows, I try hard not to whenever I'm aware of it.
    Thanks for sharing