1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should you tell Your Straight Crush that you like them?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dopplershift94, Nov 18, 2014.

1. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whether or not to tell your straight crush you like them is a common questioned asked on this forum and others. So I decided to share my personal story to help those who need the confidence to tell their crush that they love them. I was once in your position, searching forums and advice columns for an answer on whether or not I should tell my straight friend that I liked them.

Let me start by setting the stage. I worked at this store a few months before Nick even started working there. One day, Nick started on the job, and he eagerly caught my eye, he was good looking, and around the same age as me, and we were now working in the same department.

He and I became instant friends, it was literally instant. We just got along so well. We often were scheduled the same shifts, so we spent a lot of time joking around and getting to know each other.

After about 2 months, I began to realize that I was developing feelings for Nick that quickly became intense, and for a small amount of time I wondered if Nick felt the same way. But I later figured out that he was straight about our conversations about girls.

However, the feelings I had for him didn't go away. I found it harder and harder to keep my crush on him a secret. I was torturing myself over it. He was all that I could think about at work, school, and home.

It got to the point that every time I saw him at work, I just wanted to explain everything right there and then, but I was able to keep my composure.

Eventually, I came out to him, and he was accepting. I knew I was going to tell him how I felt, but I felt that I should do it one step at a time.

A few more months passed, and I finally gathered the courage to tell him how I felt.
    We met in the parking lot after work one late night, and I have already told him that I needed to talk to him about something.

So, it was time. "So what do you need to talk to me about?" he asked.
    "Well..." I paused. "This is going to sound a little crazy so please let me explain everything."

"Okay" he said.

"The truth is that I have had this massive crush on you for a long time, and I know that you don't feel the same way because you can't. But I needed to tell you or I will never get over it, and more importantly, I want you to know how much you mean to me. Our jobs sucks, and sometimes it is just awful, but none of that matters when I get to work with you. You make all the stresses of the job go away. That's all."

He was shocked, but he was cool with it. He told me that we will always be friends and that nothing was going to change between us.

Yeah, things were weird for about a month, but they were weird because I was making them weird. But now, we're back to "normal."

I learned that when you love someone, you should just tell them, because until you tell them, you're never going to have the closure you need to move on. You're always going to ask yourself these "what if?" questions. What if they feel the same way? What if something happens to me and them and they never know how much I cared about them? Etc. But once you get closure, you can move on, and that's what happened for me.

It's amazing that for 11 months, I kept my crush on him a secret, and I tortured myself because of it. That's 11 months that I could have been happy instead of secretly being in love with someone I know that couldn't love me back.

It took me 11 months to get the courage to tell him how I felt, and I don't regret that night in the parking lot one bit. I am so much happier now then I was when I was secretly in love with him. And after telling him, I moved on very quickly.

I can guarantee that if I never told him how I felt, I would still be in love with him now. But now, all I see him as is my coworker and my friend.

So if you're wondering if you should tell your friend or not, just tell them. You never know until you say something. And if they don't feel the same way, they will at least know how much you care about them, and you will probably be closer in the end. And you'll finally have closure, and then you can move on, and then find someone who can love you as much as you will love them. Don't give up on love.

2. QueHaPasado

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm crying right now. I don't know if you've convinced me, because my situation is so vastly different from yours, but I feel like I was meant to read this. Thank you for sharing your story.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    11 months? Try two years! or never! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: j/k Good for you. Hopefully the next time you see a guy you really like, it will be shorter than that. :slight_smile:

4. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to mention that if anyone has any questions about my experience or needs any advice base off what they read, feel free to pm me. :slight_smile:

5. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't agree more! I've gone through the exact same thing, it took me a whole year as well and it was the worst time of my life.

Since I've told him, my life has been wonderful :slight_smile: I feel like we are even better friends than before and I also regret not telling him a long time ago, I wouldn't have wasted a year of my life. To anybody hesitating, just GO FOR IT!!!

6. annabeth chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thank you so much for this... this was exactly what i needed to hear :kiss:

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't (and his name was also Nick haha) and I feel like it allows us to still be friends without things being awkward. It helps that he grew out a really ugly beard and I don't like facial hair haha

8. Oh hai

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I go back and forth on telling the guy I love. We are not friends, is the problem, so I dunno...

9. Summer1110

I agree completely with this! My story was very very different but the advice is exactly the same. You need to be open with your feelings otherwise it will make you miserable

10. Archie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think you've just convinced me to tell him.

Thank you so much for this post. From the bottom of my heart, thank you :slight_smile:

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was a great post! Thanks for sharing. Wish I could have had read something like this when I was younger. This part really hits the nail on the head, and is worth repeating:

"I learned that when you love someone, you should just tell them, because until you tell them, you're never going to have the closure you need to move on. You're always going to ask yourself these "what if?" questions. What if they feel the same way? What if something happens to me and them and they never know how much I cared about them? Etc. But once you get closure, you can move on, and that's what happened for me."

12. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad that my story helped you. That's why I wanted to share it.

13. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I told my crush and he apologized for being straight. He's cute.

14. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really cute. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

15. 404dotexe

Your lucky! Well i told my friend at college who i had known for nearly a year, even after flirting with him a few times, he freaked out and eventually moved groups, he even told one of the staff.

I regret telling him, because we were getting on well till then.

16. danishome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you!!! this helped. A lot! God bless you!

17. Verb

That's an awesome story and I really wish I could feel more free to do the same, because I really want him to know how much I value him.

The problem is that I'm just worried that it won't give me closure and the knowledge will just be a burden to him and stop him being so open with me. Also my situation is different as the guy in question is my ex. >_>

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If he is your ex, why can't you say you still like them?

19. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I needed to hear this, im in love with a girl and we are friends, and althought i have already accepted tha she isnt into me i still need closure.. Of course im still afraid, i dont know if i dare telling her cause im paranoid regarding this, i want to keep being her friend.

20. cherry tree

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for sharing!
    I know you're right but right now I can't bring myself to tell my crush that I have feelings for her. I have a hard time even defining what exactly it is that I feel. I know that she is hetero and therefore not interested in me, but still, my brain keeps thinking "but maybe...". It's hard to believe how easy it can be to hope for something that can't be. If these feelings don't go away, I will tell her eventually.