1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feelings & Straight Friends Who Don't Understand

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by rhapsodic, Nov 19, 2014.

1. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly just came here to vent, but any support or advice would be accepted and appreciated.

I don't really know where to start. I just don't feel like I can talk to anyone I know personally about my sexual orientation. I want people (specifically my friends) to understand what it feels like to feel "different" and to feel like I'll never be accepted and to know what it feels like to be so affected by homophobia. I don't want to call them ignorant, but they don't seem to understand how hard it can get for me.

I also want to be able to have someone who I can talk about my crush to and talk about girls with and freely express my sexuality around. It feels so awkward with my straight friends. I want to have someone to talk to about it who can actually relate.

I just feel incredibly alone, especially since I have no LGBT friends, and I don't even know anyone who identifies as LGBT personally. I am thinking of joining an LGBT youth group to meet some people, though.

Also, I feel like the label "Bi with a preference for girls" doesn't describe me well enough. My attraction to girls seems so much stronger than my attraction to guys, to the point where I can only really see myself being in a relationship and marrying a girl. People don't seem to get that though. I'm not sure what else to call myself though.

I don't know what I have to do to be understood. I just feel incredibly alone. Anyway, thanks for reading. :slight_smile:

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I understand, sometimes straight people don't understand but I have a few that are cool with talking about crushes and LGBT issues. It can be hard to find people to actually relate though

3. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

I understand. I have a friend that is straight who knows very well about my secret attraction to girls. When I first came out to her she was luckily accepting of my sexuality. I thought I actually had a friend whom I can console to about my struggles of being "different". She didn't really seem to understand or care that much. She brushed the subject under the rug which aggravated me considering I was being vulnerable and expressive of my feelings that time.

Its hard to find someone different than you who is willing enough to sympathize or understand your situation. We are talking about people of high school here, majority of them are still absorbed inside their bubbles. We're not exposed that much so the majority of us tends to be a bit egotistic in all honesty.

4. I am Kakashi

Sounds like you could be bisexual but homoromantic :slight_smile:

But about your current (and presumably straight) friends, as much as you want them to understand, they will literally never be able to feel how you feel, or understand fully. Which sounds terrible, BUT finding a GLBT group, as you mentioned, is definitely the way to go! They WILL understand, and so do us ECers.