1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I desperately need a group of gay friends!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by amanitomuscario, Nov 20, 2014.

1. amanitomuscario

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everybody!
    I have just started to come out recently, however not many people know about me, just my closest friends and family, and I would like it to keep it like that some time.

Well, the problem is that throughout my entire life I have avoided gay people unconsciously, just to avoid rising suspicion. Now that I am partially out I don´t have any bind with the gay world or close gay friends, and I feel the need to have a group of friends in which I don´t feel like I am the weirdo. I am quite reserved, and sometimes I find it difficult to meet new people. How can I do it?

Apart from that, there´s this guy in my class who I am totally in love with. I have never felt anything like this for anybody. He is new in the faculty, and he is a good friend of one of my friends. I have been trying to approach him since the first day of class, by talking with his friends and to him.
    My gaydar beeps everytime I see him, but as we all know it is not rocket science!
    The problem is that I am the least stereotypical gay out there, and I get lots of attention from girls but not from guys as I seem to be quite "straight". Also, I am only out to two people in my class, so I am theorically straight in the faculty. I try to hint that I am interested in him, but I guess he might be scared of coming out in his new class or that he might be scared of telling me because of my "straight appearance". Apart from that, we don´t have that much confidence, so that makes everything more complicated.
    As I have said before, I am shy, and I don´t want to scare him by being too tiring. I don´t know how to approach him, and I would really like to get to know him... I would like to have a romantic relationship with him, however I would also really appreciate him as a friend, we seem to have many things in common and I suppose that we could be great friends.

Sorry for the extension haha, but I don´t know what to do and you guys have a lot more experience on this field!

Thanks a lot beforehand!! :icon_bigg

P.S.: sorry for any language mistakes, I am Spanish XD :rolle:

2. seeking

Is there a lgbt group on your campus? I would join that if you want to associate with people in your school. Then everyone will know you are not straight and so will your crush.

Could also create a study group for your class and invite your friends and your crush, that is another way of getting close to your crush and possibly finding out if he is into guys too.

Only ideas i have to figure out your crush and make friends within lgbt community. If you don't want to join the lgbt group on campus there might be one in your local town.

I'm not from spain, so i hope this helps a tad. If i was from spain i might be able to give better advice.

3. amanitomuscario

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Seeking!

Sadly, there is not a LGBT group in my faculty... Your advice is great, however the main problem that I have is that I still want to be closeted at the uni, because of several reasons too boring to explain hahaha.
    I have been thinking about telling him that I am gay directly. We´re not many and we should know each other XD, however, I don´t know whether he would think that I am nuts... I mean, if I imagine the inverse situation I would see no problem, but I tend to be quite open minded with things people do. What do you think? Would yo be scared if someone you know just a bit comes and tells you out of the blue that he is gay? :lol:

4. seeking

I'm open minded. I remember in middle school/freshman highschool i didn't say i was gay but i remember saying something along the line that sounded like i was coming out. I got a weird look. I would first maybe develop a closer friendship with him, so you know him better which helps with deciding if you should tell him or not. I would maybe make a study group to get closer to him. I would also talk about current events within the lgbt community. How is the culture in spain toward the lgbt community? Are they getting equal rights?

Really first gauge his response to lgbt stuff. If you feel he reacts respectfully and open minded then tell him. You still have to be safe cuz at least in america there are still hate crimes toward lgbt, idk how accepting spain is.

My major response is tread lightly to figure out his position on lgbt stuff before fully coming out. You don't want to tell him and then he goes around and tells people nor do you want to deal with a homophobic (sometimes they are just too stubborn those homophobes).

Hope to hear a response from you also happy some of my advice was helpful.

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I know how you feel! Our circumstances are so different, and yet that's probably my biggest issue right now: I too desperately need a group of gay friends! Men I can talk to about what all this means, who can listen, comfort, encourage, and just be there. and for whom I can do that as well.

6. amanitomuscario

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for your answers!

@seeking: In Spain, the feelings towards LGBT people are said to be extremely accepting. I have not had any bad reactions since I started to come out, but the truth is that I have only told those who I knew would react in a good way. I could experience for a short period of time what it was showing public displays of affection, and I got plenty of disgust looks, some homophobic comments and even a bucket of water over my ex and I! That being said, I think that it depends on the people you interact with. The reason why I don´t want to come out in my faculty is because my degree tends to attract plenty of conservative people (as long as lots of gays XD), and I am more confortable without them knowing.
    I will try to hint my sexuality to this guy. Maybe I could buy a unicorn and ride it to class... that would make a difference! XD

@Wildside: I think that it is important to be sorrounded by people like us. Sometimes only the people who have experienced the same things than you can fully understand your problems and give advice and support. Apart from that I think that it is important not feeling as a weirdo amongst a group of people.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

7. seeking

Lol to unicorn and no problem.

I would just spend more time with him and hint at your sexuality before coming out. You don't want him to Out you. So just be cautious until you feel he is respectful and trust worthy.

Spain must be pretty :slight_smile:

8. amanitomuscario

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @seeking: I´ll try that, then. :slight_smile:
    By the way, yeah, Spain is beautiful and quite different from other places I´ve visited, specially due to how people interact with one another. I guess it´s nice.