1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I terrified some poor girl with bluntness

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PeculiarChild, Nov 20, 2014.

1. PeculiarChild

Well, let's start off with the fact that I am an incredibly blunt and awkward person. Always have been, and have even been tested for developmental disorders (inconclusive). I've never quite understood friendship or when it is inappropriate to say something. And now it's gotten me into yet another spot of trouble.

See, I have this friend (I'm actually not sure if she is), and she's got problems and is fairly open about this. She's fourteen, bisexual, recovering from anorexia, trying to quit cutting, and at some point tried to kill herself. She's adopted the "scene" thing, though I'm unsure what that means or whether it's relevant.

And she was talking about the whole suicide and self-harm thing and the drawing red dots on your arm in support, and I did something weird. She asked me if I wanted to draw them, and I unequivocally said no. She asked why, so I told her "I don't want to talk about: I don't want to think about. I might throw up; can we drop it?" She asked why again, and my (quoted) response was "Me and cough syrup don't have the best track record".

She hasn't acted the same with me since. I really think I was the last person she expected this from and is probably confused. I don't know what to do; I'm not sure if I overstepped boundaries, but I think I did. What do I do?

2. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its sounds like you really hurt the little lady feelings :/ Shes at a vulnerable place and being in that type of situation makes things hurt more. I'd tell her you're sorry and you didn't mean it for it to sound that way. But don't expect for things to go back buddy buddy very fast sometimes things take time to heal

3. PeculiarChild

I think I terrified her with the idea that I had attempted suicide; I don't know if I hurt her feelings.