1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like this guy likes me, but it's confusing...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Dmk2020, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Dmk2020

Dmk2020 Guest

So basically, I'm rooming with this guy who I have feelings for. We are both 20 years old. We are going to the same school. My biggest problem is, he identifies as straight. Normally, I would immediately forget about it because I hate going there, but this guy is so different. When I told him I was gay, he was completely unaffected by it. He's very outgoing and has a lot of friends. He is super attractive, but he never seems to have a girlfriend. He does talk about girls though. Before you write him off, hear me out. When I found out he was straight, I tried really hard to forget about my feelings for him, and I did for a little while, but his actions make me like him all over again. First of all, he is a guy that's really easy to like. He's funny, smart, and athletic. So if that wasn't difficult enough, some of the things he does really makes me wonder about him. Like about a month ago, he came home from the gym and he looked really good. He had an after workout glow and I know I was checking him out quite a bit. I tried to play it cool, but I know he caught me. It was weird though, he seemed to almost encourage it. He kept finding ways to flex and show off. He even asked me if he looked bigger since we began rooming together. That was just the beginning of it all. About a week later, we had plans that night, so I texted him I was almost home. He said "Alright" and not much else so I didn't think much of it. When I walked in the door, he was just in his underwear. He didn't say anything about it, but honestly, he knew I was coming right home, so why wouldn't he have put something on? Especially knowing I was gay. I feel like straight guys don't even wanna open that door. Then, a few days go by, and I'm studying on the bed and he comes in and looks sad. So I was like "What?" and he said "Am I just really unattractive or what is it? Every girl I like seems to lose interest in me". So I almost start laughing and say "Oh yeah you're so ugly. That's the problem". He chuckles a little too and says "I'm being serious. I need your opinion". So I was said "Listen, you are not ugly in the slightest. I honestly don't know why you have bad luck or whatever because your a pretty cool guy." and when I said that he sort of smirked and said "Well thanks". After that the conversation just sort of faded. Then about a week passes and we are out with mostly his friends and we are having a pretty fun night, but after a while into it, we start talking about his love life again as a group (It's sort of like the running joke) and he says "Hey guys easy, I'll have you know that I know someone who's interested in me." and when we all tried to get him to say it, he wouldn't. So I wonder if he was talking about me. I just got a vibe he was. And if he was, why wouldn't he just throw me under the bus? So then fast forward a week (2 weeks ago from today) and we were at home by ourselves, and I swear I feel like he was trying to flirt with me. We would just have some small talk in between studying and every time I would say something sexual sounding, he would laugh and make it even more sexual. Like if I said "This is really hard." He's be like "Oh is it? Right now?" and I'd just roll my eyes, much to his amusement. So that continued throughout the night. And the past week, he seems to have like no personal boundaries with me anymore. He has no problems getting super close to me. Like for example, my room, the bathroom, and his room are all in line, so I had to go to the bathroom and he just came out of the bathroom. He knew I was going in, so instead of moving out of the way, he just turned to the side in the doorway, and since it's a fairly small doorway, I had to like "graze" him as I went by. So now, it's thanksgiving break, and I won't seem him for a week, but I can't stop thinking about everything. This all happened in like the span of a month. We just started rooming together like a month before that. So what do you think? Am I overthinking or what? I don't want to be that guy whose blinded by his feelings and make something seem like more than it is. I could just ask, but I feel like that's so weird to just ask, especially if it's not true because then I have to live with this guy. Any advice or thoughts?

2. mangotree

Definitely sounds like your love heart eyes + his vanity = your frustration and infatuation

Straight guys check each other out at the gym all the time, hot straight guys can be as insecure about their bodies as the rest of us and can also be inexperienced with how to talk to women, many open minded straight guys like to feel like someone's attracted to them - it doesn't matter who.

He sounds like a good guy.
    If I were you, I'd probably try to help him find a girlfriend - that will probably help you get over him quicker.

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a tricky one because it's very hard for us to tell, when you're the one that really knows him. Unfortunately, from what you've said there's nothing that strikes me as anything that particularly indicates he wants to be with you. Perhaps he does realise you're attracted to him, he likes you as a friend too much to "throw you under the bus" and likes the attention you give him. I'm unconvinced it's anything more than that, but I am far from a love expert! :icon_wink