1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom's homophobia upsets me...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mskay72, Nov 23, 2014.

1. mskay72

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My mom is really homophobic. I'm scared to be around her. Sometimes I feel like she doesn't love me, even though she thinks I'm straight. And I can't be open about my sexuality with her; she thought there was something wrong with me when I came out.
    I love her but I hate the way she makes me feel sometimes. Does anyone know what I can do to make the situation better?

2. I am Kakashi

Your profile says you're not out at all, but you came out to your mom. But also she still thinks your straight? I may be a bit lost. : / But those details probably aren't even relevant. Point is, you can't talk to your mom about your sexuality. Finding a school counselor or trusted teacher to talk to can help. And depending on your age, finding a GLBT center in your area to go to can help. There will be people there in your exact situation.

As far as your mom goes, you can attempt to enlighten her with resources from PLAG, GLAAD, etc. But in my experience and experiences of others, it just takes time for them to understand. And sometimes it's best not to push the issue until you live on your own, for fear of them kicking you out (depending on her level of homophobia).

3. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with Kakashi. Join your school's GSA if you have one, find a teacher or counsellor to talk to, go to a community center; anywhere that will give you a safe space and support.
    I also understand what it's like to have a parent you're scared to come out to. My sister and I made ourselves feel literally sick discussing potentially coming out to our dad. My sister and I have been arguing with our dad for years, recently our cousin's gotten into it with him too. We've given him facts, biblical evidence, everything and he still thinks it's wrong and a choice. :frowning2: You just have to stick with it and hope that someday they come around.