1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transphobic parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Manta, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Manta

I'm trans* and recently I've begun presenting more androgynously. My parents seem to have come to the conclusion that I'm lesbian, and have made great efforts to stop using homophobic language and show support. The problem is, they haven't stopped using transphobic language or slurs. Sometimes I try talking with them and explaining gender identities to them, but it just makes me really uncomfortable.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Manta

I'm going to a general therapist now for anxiety and I'm very open with them. I'm planning on switching to a gender therapist after the new year, though.

I don't know if I'll ever be open with them about gender identity or just let them think I've turned into a really butch lesbian. If I try explaining gender to them they will probably connect dots really fast, and I'm not ready for that, but if I don't, the slurs will probably continue...

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, there are a few approaches you might go...
    slow approach, saying its your style...

saying something...
    on the link above, the first pdf... do you find that is a leaflet that is understandable ?

or you might even ask a therapist to tell or mediate...

its all up to you...

what about saying the slurs disrespect human beings and you don't like that ?

5. Manta

The pdf was helpful, thanks.

I'll try the slow approach, it just gets frustrating in the intern. I don't really want to come out until I'm out of school and financially independent, anyway. I'll try pushing general human respect.