1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression setting in!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MeSoFly, Nov 25, 2014.

1. MeSoFly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not sure where to start on this but it just seems like here lately I've started to sink into this depression state that I haven't been in since I was a senior in high school. Most people would think I have plenty to be happy about, I have a great job, I just bought a house and I'm getting married next year. Well I'm not it probably the complete opposite of happy right now. While yes I should be happy about buying a house the closing isn't until dec 5th and we don't move in until Dec 12th. We have been staying with my fiance's parents since we sold her house back on Sept. I have serious O.C.D. when it comes to a lot of things so that fact that 95% of my stuff is in storage doesn't help.

Most people would be happy to be marrying the love of their life but I guess at the same time I'm completely overwhelmed by every detail of this wedding and also struggling with how people are going to feel about coming to a wedding where 2 females are getting married and will it be uncomfortable for them.

Then you have this whole concept of me having an instant family. I went from being a single female to in a relationship with someone that has 3 boys now 9, 10 and 13. Which for us her kids are the biggest stress in our relationship. Which has led me to possibly leaving the relationship quite a few times because of them because they are disrespectful and don't listen to a thing either of us tell them.

Just feel like I'm stuck and don't know what to do to get happiness back in my life. Sorry for the long post and I appreciate anyone who actually took the time to read it.

2. Gen

Gen

I have to say that, statistically, I don't believe there is a single high-stress inducing event that you aren't trapped in the middle of. Sometimes we have to take ourselves out of these situations and observes things objectively to really comprehend all of the things that we have put on our plate. You are currently facing a move, a wedding, a still somewhat fresh and rocky introduction to co-parenthood, not living in a settled home, etc. The fact that you are still standing amidst all of this is enough of a reason to pat yourself on the back.

Rather than recommend that you eliminate any of these forms of stress in your life, I would advise evaluate and improving upon the way that you approach potential stress and life in general. For instance, consistently remind yourself of your priorities and the things that matter. You career is a priority. You relationship definitely matters. Having the perfect wedding? Not so much. A perfect wedding is certainly no symbol of a perfect marriage being on the horizon and obsessing over the occasion will only cause unnecessary stress and frustration to seep into the relationship as well.

Additionally, it is important not to attempt to suppress or run from our stress. Stress is a completely normal and standard part of life. If you anticipate that the first few weeks of moving into this new house will be exhausting, you will find that your mind will cope with the experience far more smoothly than not confronting it and giving yourself the freedom to feel those emotions. Remind yourself each morning that this will be a hectic and chaotic period in your life, but, as long as you take some time out of each day to breath, you will make it through it. I wish you the best. (*hug*)