1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumours and confusion- help needed :/

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by annabeth chase, Nov 25, 2014.

1. annabeth chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Basically...
    I'm a closeted lesbian in love with my best friend who I assume is straight. Recently everything's got more complicated though...

Nobody even suspected I was gay until this week. There's a rumour going round at our school that my best friend and I have drunk sex regularly, an fwb kinda deal.

Since I go to a state (or "public" in american) girl's school, rumours spread like wildfire and now the literal whole school either ships us or bitches about us.

Obviously, I am mortified and I go beet red when people ask me about it which makes the rumours worse.

My best friend is always like 'this is so weird and jeez who came up with this; us makeout, like seriously?' And I'm always like haha yeah ikr but I'm worried she'll guess my feelings cause I've been getting awkward around her and ugh.

It's terrible because I think about kissing her and holding her hand all the time and now everyone else basically knows that even though it originated from a lie and the only one who doesn't think I feel that way is her because she knows the rumour about her feelings towards me is untrue so she's assuming I'm the same but I'm not and fuck man

I feel so paranoid because I must have been really transparent for this rumour to start despite my attempts to hide my feelings, and I'm scared she'll guess and confront me cause that is not how I imagined confessing my feelings to her, plus I'm not ready to come out yet...

The worst part is I do want to have drunk sex with her, and sober too and kissing and cuddling and being fucking cute and that's actually worse than just wanting to fuck her, y'know?

What should I do?Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice welcome :help:

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in your exact situation when I was in high school. I proved the rumor correct......

3. annabeth chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Glad to know I'm not the only one at least

4. mangotree

It's funny, I only just remembered this situation while reading your post. I must have blocked it out.
    It might not be advice, but rather just a similar experience.

I think I was about 14 or 15 years old and in High School.
    I grew up in the country, so went camping with friends just about every weekend during the summer. I used to get naked with a male friend a lot, played strip poker, and went skinny dipping etc.. (teenage hormones and all) and one night we went camping and ended up masturbating together (just watching each other).
    The week after that at school, he told everyone on the school bus about what happened and a rumour about me being gay began. I can't remember how he avoided becoming labeled as well, but he did.

Anyway...
    I denied it constantly - to myself and everyone else. My friends didn't believe the rumours either (bless them).
    In the state of denial that I was in at that time - if it wasn't for my friends, the rest of high school would have been hell. Keep in mind, this was in the 90s.

If I was to do it again, especially knowing what I know now and how much more accepting people are in general now days, I would have just said "Yeah, I'm gay, so what, get over it".

It's good that you've got your friend as support :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading.
    Sorry that it won't be much help.

5. annabeth chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thanks for that... i actually feel better that other people have had this kind of thing happen too ^^

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's many years since I was at school, but like you and Mangotree and USxUK, I was the subject of rumours and gossip about my sexuality, BUT (and this is important) everybody else was the subject of rumours and gossip about one thing or another too. It wasn't just me, even though it felt like it sometimes.

There were rumours about pregnancy, sex, drinking, drugs.... the list of silly gossip was endless and nobody was totally immune. Without exception, every student in my year had their week of shame (even though most of it was bull). The more you react to it the more credibility you give it. If you can, try to ignore it.

7. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    4 words of advice: DON'T CHASE STRAIGHT GIRLS
    not trying to be abrasive or insensitive, but it'll save you the heartbreak.

on another note, who gives a fuck what people say? laugh in their face when they bring it up to you. that should nip it in the ass.

8. Itisthefear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you ever talked with your friend about those rumors ? she might say that it's disgusting or w/e in public but you might hear a different opinion when you ask her yourself....
    Also people want you to feel ashamed of those rumors because that motivates them to continue bullying you. Try to play it cool, and reply back with a rumor that's going on about them

9. annabeth chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thanks, i'll try that (*hug*)
    sorry for being such an angsty babydyke haha