1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong to invite girlfriend to Thanksgiving & Christmas?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by David21201, Nov 26, 2014.

1. David21201

My girlfriend's family doesn't do much during the holidays. My family does a lot. I have 2 Thanksgiving meals and 5 Christmas. My girlfriend is coming to one of my Thanksgiving, the one with the homophobes. She is also spending part of Christmas day with us and she maybe attending a party we have.
    Is it wrong to include her? I don't want her to be alone on the holidays. She will be introduced as my "really good friend". Oh, and also how do I deal with her ( atheist) and my family (die-hard Christians) on their views of the holidays?

2. QueHaPasado

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Many people in my family bring their girlfriends/boyfriends to holidays. Also, most of my family is highly religious, but a few of my cousins are atheists. We all have a good time anyway, so I don't see a problem here. You might have to deal with some familial gossip, though.

3. DinelodiiGitli

You might have to deal with a few comments and questions but otherwise I wouldn't see much of an issue. Hope all goes well! :slight_smile:

4. LoneWolfRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well depending on how long you have been together, I think bringing her is a good idea and a first step towards self-security. Maybe don't bring her to everything, but include her. And don't worry about the atheist, as long as she doesn't present it too much, it will be fine

5. riptide226

I think that it is an important step toward your family accepting the relationship
    just be ready for the "homophobes" to either completely ignore you or give you hell

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Damn. Maybe you should invite me!

I believe you've answered your own question, with:

Sounds like a simple but sensible plan.

As for the dealing with 'holiday views', this is also fairly simple.

Don't bring it up.

If they mention it, give simple answers. Hell, unless you want to tear the walls of ignorance down, I'd say amuse and appease them. Unless you're wanting to, use these holiday gatherings, as a platform for your own identity and life, again, just don't bring anything up. If forced into discussing such topics, keep it simple, keep it boring... and they'll stop, eventually.