1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triggered at Thanksgiving dinner

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Lynn44, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Lynn44

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just got home - had dinner with friends. Their 21 yr old nephew was talking about a gay cruise director he and his mom/aunt/uncle had had last summer in Europe. He started making fun of him and I got triggered. I got triggered; just accepted the fact that I am a lesbian about 3 weeks ago and decided if I had to put up with this kind of stuff, I did not want to live. Called the Trevor Project Hotline, even though I am above the age bracket. Feel a bit better now but I live alone and feel very sad. Was wondering how others handled stuff like this...

2. Really

Sorry this happened to you but good for getting some immediate help. I'm afraid some people are just turds. (Excuse my French.). If you could find other people to holiday with, I would.
    21 is still quite young. I would have said something like, "Smarten up. He's one person and didn't ruin your trip, did he?"
    Or, would have just glared at him and come up with this retort 3 hours later.
    Give yourself a break. There's nothing wrong with you. In fact, you're better than those losers.
    Put on some nice music and have a bubble bath.

3. Obscured

Obscured Guest

Hey, I'm sorry you had this experience, especially on of all days, Thanksgiving. I would just realize that you shouldn't feel bad about yourself because they're taking the time to insult someone who they barely know based on stereotypes and generalizations.
    They aren't living the experience, so how could they say anything about it with true logic? Only you know what it feels like to be lesbian, and in 2014, it shows a lot about their character for them to bash someone over something as trivial as being gay, and a lot about yours to be able to have the courage to seek help when it's needed over something very personal to you.

Again, sorry for your experience, but I hope with time it isn't so painful, you can always talk to us here if you need help :slight_smile:

4. White Knight

First of all welcome to the EC, Lynn.

Secondly here here (*hug*)

Unfortunately, for now, what you faced is part of being LGBT in many parts of the world. People talk with stereotypes in mind, what society and biggots under mask of religious people, more importantly leaders thaught them.

They can say and think what they want. We, you and everyone here, knows what we are... feeling, loving and mostly kind hearted human beings.

When I was younger those kind of people and words hurt me... deeply. Than in time I discovered I am not alone and not wrong. There are many of us. Maybe there are miles between us but we are shining like stars in their darkness. Find strength in each others company.

You are not alone as long as you have access to here. I wish my crappy brain could conjure more words to ease your pain but like I said, it is crappy. :grin:

Stay safe (*hug*)