1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant frustration with the guy I'm supposedly in love with

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chickzak, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Chickzak

Okay, *deep breaths*- so, I've met a guy and have fallen in love with him. We've been together a year and a half and I genuinely can see myself with him for the rest of my life, having family and everything else. He's sweet, thoughtful, hard-working and everyone in my family adores him. Sometimes when I'm with him, I feel like nothing else matters. He's all that matters though other times his mood seems to change and it does my head in!

Look, I'll give you a few examples: sometimes, I won't give him my fault attention or I'll spend too long talking to a guy at work or I won't text him immediately .. and his mood will have changed. If I dont text him back saying what he wants to hear, he won't like it and will be grumpy with me when I see him next. He expects me to spend more time with him than my friends. He expects messages everyday whilst I'm at work. He expects me to tell him *everything* new in my life. Now, I know what you're thinking. This guy seems a little controlling right? I assure you he's not controlling in the slightest but he cares too much about me, which sometimes seems suffocating and it really annoys me. Its to the extent that when guy friends text me and we have long conversations with one another, I feel I need to delete all of them when we're together .. just in case he sees a message from one of them and I know for sure he'll start questioning! This has happened before where I've just lied and said its a best friend texting me... I mean come on, I'm not having an affair with him, its just a friend at work but I still feel I need to lie otherwise he'll be cross with me for not telling me who this guy was..!:bang:

I'm in that relationship now where I'm so in love with him and cannot bear the thought of breaking it up and I wouldn't want to anyway. He makes me happy but just gets protective sometimes and when he doesnt get what he wants, he throws a mini-tantrum.

Now, my question is what do I do about this?

I've got no intention of breaking up with him but would like to learn how to be more in control of the relationship and be stronger when he questions me.

I guess in some way its my fault. Ever since the beginning of our relationship, I have answered every question he's asked fully, providing every single detail -- when there was no need to. I've cheered him up immediately when he was in a mood and answered his every call immediately. But now he's used to that and he cannot adjust to what he used to be like. Now I understand that that's down to me and me being toooo keen when I met him. My friend has explained this to me many times - treat them keen and keep them keen, but I've not listened and now I'm a little frustrated. At the early stages of our relationship, it was more calm and we never got frustrated with one another because there were no expectations. Now, well.. now I guess I've set the bar to a certain standard and have to maintain that otherwise he'll get annoyed, then I'll get angry and we won't talk to one another and it'll just destroy us!

That's happened too many times before until we both apologise or we'll go out to get fresh air and we'll talk it over in some detail. And it'll all be okay but before that there's almost *always* tears, tension and anger when the problem is so minor - it's just not needed.

What do I do? Do I ignore him when he's throwing a tantrum when I know its not my fault? I'm worried if I leave him too long, he won't apologise and it'll be me crawling back insisting I'm sorry.. when I'd know I've got nothing to be sorry for.

Seems like a never ending spiral! :confused:

Help!

Sorry for the long thread, but jotting down my thoughts on screen really helps get my thoughts together and helps me feel better!

Thanks for your feedback, any comments are valued! :kiss:

2. elliot96

That's a tricky one, and I myself have been in similar situations. It's never an easy road, but you seem to love him a lot so you guys should be able to get through this tough time. I think you certainly need to speak with him directly about this, and tell him everything you are telling us. The way that you've put it in your words is heartfelt and genuine and if you were to tell him something similar, I'm sure he will start to understand. Explain to him that you love him, and ONLY him, and that he has no reason to be concerned about you speaking to other guys. If I was in your situation I would twist it a bit and ask if he didn't trust me or believe me when I told him I love him - that should get him thinking.

Best of luck, I'm sure you two will get through this x

3. QueerQueen

Seems like he has very high expectations of what he wants from the relationship, but I don't think those are necessarily things you need to be giving him. You should have a balance between your boyfriend and friends, you don't have to spend time with him more than your friends or vice versa. You definitely don't need to tell him every guy/girl you are talking to and have a set time for how long you are able to talk to them. I can see how he might get suspicious or jealous, but that doesn't mean you have to stop talking to them at all. I think he just wants more of your time and to be reassured that he is the one you are interested in, but at the same time he should also be able to trust you as trust is very important in any relationship. I agree with Eliott you should sit down and have a talk with him, because some of his needs seem a little bit ridiculous if you ask me and it is definitely not your fault. If he is wanting these things from you then at the least I hope he is treating you the same way in return, but you definitely need to talk to him about it.