1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with the holidays

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by L0ser, Nov 28, 2014.

1. L0ser

It seems every year around this time I see my family a ton, and usually it comes with having to be asked "Why I don't have girlfriend," or hearing about how disgusted my cousins are with homosexuality, bisexuality, etc.

This is my first Christmas knowing my identity, and Thanksgiving was already bad enough. So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for how to deal with having to hear things like that when you're in the closet. I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to hear that you have homophobic family members. One way to deal with homophobic statements it is to just let them go by you. Picture the words going in one ear, and coming out on the other and floating away.

When your cousins start talking about what they don't like about homosexuality, think about something else. If possible, try not letting their words, or statements get to you.

When I was in the closet and I was asked why I don't have a girlfriend yet, or whether I'm looking for one, I always used to say I'm too busy, or don't have time for one at the moment. There are certainly better answers to give. One answer you could give (if you are comfortable with it) is to say, that you enjoy being single at the moment, and that you still have time finding someone. :slight_smile:

3. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah dude, my mum and dad split a long time ago and I only see him at holidays and stuff. To get through it go to a happy place so to speak. Like I zone out and sing songs in my head and things like that, or I excuse myself and talk to someone else. My dad's side of the family aren't that homophobic, but they do make some nasty comments. And also when asked why you don't have a girlfriend Mirko put it rightly: just say you aren't looking for anyone. When I'm asked if why I don't have a boyfriend I just say I'm focusing on my studies and don't have time for it at the moment. Just say you're too busy with school or the people in your school don't appeal to you or something.