1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cannot come out to my family...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by shotonthechest, Dec 1, 2014.

1. shotonthechest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys, just decided to tell you my story.

I cannot really come out to my family because I'm pretty sure they won't accept me. They all are extremely religious and thus, religion comes first for them. Instead of thinking of a way to accept me, they rather will think of a way to kill me (for sure) :confused:
    I remember when I was about 6, my sister once told me, "you are a girl! A girl shouldn't like a girl, she should like a guy!" just because I annoyed her by telling some stories about my favourite actress.
    A few years later, my best friend sarcastically told me, "if you are a lesbian, just admit it, so that we know :eusa_danc " but I denied it because she was also religious (somewhat), she wouldn't accept me.
    Lastly, I told a childhood friend because I knew she wouldn't judge me. She indeed didn't. She told me, "aww, you're my bro now! I feel so much more comfortable. I always knew you weren't straight!" :thumbsup:
    I only can tell it to one more friend, but no more. Because there are so far only 2 persons who won't judge me. But I know that I cannot hide myself forever :confused: what should I do?

2. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you live on your own? Sometimes you just have to be open about it even though people will not like it, and even though it's hard. You just have to decide if it's worth it.

3. NewAndrea

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I cannot come out to my femily either. the feeling of shame would too much to bare. i understand how you feel. although my family isnt super religious they wouldn't accept me. i think at least living away from home would make it easier to deal with.

4. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you're going to have to do it eventually and deal with the reaction.

i have a friend who was terrified for the longest time of coming out to her parents who always made negative remarks about sexuality. instead of just coming out of the closet immediately, he always prompted a conversation about homosexuality every time the topic came up. not in a serious defensive way, or you'll just end up making it obvious that you're gay. when he finally came out, it was a lot smoother than what it would have went if those conversations never occurred. there are lots of narrow minded individuals out there that see everything as their way or the highway, but there's plenty out there with an OPINION that can be swayed. hopefully that's the case with your family.

in retrospect, since you mentioned that your family is religious, there are multiple things in the bible other than homosexuality that are considered a sin (and/or forbidden according to the bible) - yet are things you see on an everyday basis. ie: tattoos, eating pork on sundays, non-virgins who aren't married, ripped clothing, eating fat, working on sundays, trimming the edges of your beard, women speaking in church, wearing gold, ..... i can go on forever.

maybe those would be some good points to bring up?

5. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly! Maybe you should show them this video- http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gmp6lLct-fQ

6. SeekingTruth

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am about in the same situation. My entire family are Christians and they are very hostile towards homosexuals. No physical hostility but they be sure to say how sinful it is and how homosexuals are going to hell. I don't care what most of my family thinks about me, but I do care what my mom thinks about me. I know she would be devastated to find her son is a homosexual (although I'm sure she has suspicion, I'm not exactly the picture of manhood). She is up in age and probably doesn't have many years left. I have considered never coming out to her. Not sure though. Not sure what to say other than you and you alone have to decide if you are going to tell anyone about yourself.

7. I'm in a situation like that, and it stinks. its really hard having people around you say homophobic things, its as if they were directly insulting you yourself... I know from experience and its very damaging. I don't have much advice to give, if I did I'd just be being hypocritical. but if you ever wanna talk or rant be I'll listen:wink: good luck