1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mother is not being as accepting as I would like her to be.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by KeanusGuitarus, Dec 1, 2014.

1. KeanusGuitarus

East Australia, in NSW, quite a while from Sydney.
    Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi again, support forum! I'm Ke. It's sure been a while since I last used this, but I have something to talk about. My mother is a lovely lady, working a job from 6 in the morning until half past 2 in the afternoon to make enough money for us to live. I have recently got a job, so hopefully she can lighten her load.

What I wish to bring up is that yesterday I was having a discussion with a friend. She and another friend have been dating on and off for a while now. Once again, they are off. She made the comment that "until someone will put their all into a relationship, I will avoid relationships at all costs." I told my friend that, though this is a good idea, you cannot escape this by their activity in the relationship. People's feelings towards others change. It happened with me and a girlfriend back when I was identifying to all as a boy. I loved her, but eventually she left me; I let it go on the same principle of changing feelings that I have just mentioned.

Explaining this conversation to Mother as we chatted was going all fine. "Clearly you just did not love [my girlfriend]." I explained that I truly did, and that people need to understand that romantic relationships cannot exist one sided, and should simply be left. She then said: "Well you aren't a girl, and girls tend to do this whole...", continuing on to explain how girls react after a breakup. I ignored this for two reasons. Someone's gender does not define how they react in a relationship, and time and time again have I told and reminded mother that I am a girl. I simply said "thank you Mother" and left the kitchen wherein we spoke.

Mother was shocked by the reaction and said "what I mean is... well... you aren't really a girl because you have male hormones flowing through your body!" I then said to Mother that "one's sex does not define one's gender", and that "a girl can be a male, a female, or intersex." I stressed this last point to show her that people aren't always simply born male and female, but will most commonly been given the gender of a girl or a boy upon birth. Mother, though, simply said "yes it does" in a snide tone before I left the conversation.

What can I say to my mother to explain to her that I am a girl regardless of my sex and regardless of whether I do more than HRT or not. Please, I would appreciate your help!

Love always, Ke.

2. Albion

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN! my mother is the same.
    While I've hinted to her that I might not want a boyfriend or pretty dresses and makeup and don't like my chest, I've cut my hair and I've been wearing my brother's clothes and asked to shop in the boy's department...but everytime I do things like this, she freaks out and says stuff like: "You're a girl! Girls wear girl clothes! Now come get a manicure with me!"
    Unlike you, I've never had the guts to actually tell her what's on my mind because I don't want to see her upset.
    It's sad and kind of funny, this situation we are in, isn't it?
    Anyways, to answer your question...hmmm
    Sit her down at a time where its just the two of you and she isn't stressed and tell her that you are a girl. Tell her that it's important to you and make sure you manuever the conversation in a gentle manner. Don't be too forceful. And make sure you aren't too akward or stiff when talking because she might think you're just going a phase and brush it off.
    That's all I can think of, but hopefully everything works out.