1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get to know someone

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Skylights, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Skylights

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ok. How to start this off. I got my first real crush on a guy in school with me around a month ago. We's somehow never met before even though we're in our 3rd year of high school. At first I didn't think much of him tbh.:dry:

But after a certain semi emotional conversation I received the most majorly intense emotions I've ever felt towards another person directed at him. I find myself staring at his warm eyes and having this urge I've never felt before to talk to him throughout the classes we share. Every time we talk about anything I can't help but smile. Then he smiles back and my heart flutters. We laugh at each others jokes no matter how trash they are, and he says things that make me like die on the inside from their cuteness all the time.:icon_redf

The problem is, besides the fact that I have no idea if he's gay or even somewhat interested in me, is that I don't really know how to make close/real friends with people. I'm pretty sure it's a by product of my childhood( bad experiences with trusting people) but I REALLY want to get to know this guy. Even if he ended up being straight or just not into me that way nothing would make me happier than being his close friend.

So I'm asking, since people here seem to have a knack for actually having close, emotional and meaningful friendships, if its not too much trouble, to help an in need fellow out. Advice/ a response would be incredibly appreciated.

2. mangotree

You basically just need to see if you get along outside of school.
    Find a common interest and partake in it together one weekend.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree with mangotree. See if he is interested in having a coffee together, a chat in a park or shopping center, be upfront about wanting to get to know him better, keep it casual and simple.

4. shinji

shinji Guest

Focus on something that you both enjoy and just expand from there. Be more "carefree" when talking with him, offer to go out and do something together. Like...

"omg they are having this ...blah blah blah, wanna go check it out"

"omg i need to go do this one thing, wanna come with me and help"

"omg we should totally do this thing that we both enjoy and we talked about"

Extensive usage of "omg" implies lack of seriousness in statements, thus i am trying to hint, that you need to relax... Don't be too serious about it, don't show your emotions, not all of them... I made that mistake once (or twice...). Just... focus on becoming close friends! Avoid raising topics that you will probably not raise with your other friends.

5. Oh hai

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Exact same problem with me and my crush! And btw USxUK, I do not ship that. After all, it's all about that FrancexEngland!

6. Skylights

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the responses. Greatly appreciated from all of you.

I guess the main thing I'm looking for right now is a method/way to just approach him, like advice on how not to look like a bumbling idiot or an awkward taco when I'm trying to talk to him and find that thing in common we might have. If I managed to do that and he was like even a tiny bit gay/curious I might have hope for a relationship. So how do I not sound like I'm extremely interested in him and just look friendly?