1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Parents on Suicide

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by falcenav, Dec 2, 2014.

1. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Suicide is never, ever the answer," says my mother to me as we watch the news. She's right. I know.

I've heard this multiple times since suicides frequent the news. And it always bothers me.

If I come out of the closet, and they react poorly, they would drive me toward suicide. I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to write this. My parents tell me that nothing is ever so bad that you should kill yourself, but if I came out and they reacted poorly, my life would be pretty bad.

Irony I guess? It gets on my nerves. And just know that I'm never going to kill myself. I'm ok.

2. Macolm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey man I've thought the same myself...usually more after being dumped. (IDGAF what my parents think of me but I know I'm unique there) I find myself thinking well if "Guy" doesn't like me, if I can't be with "Him" what's the point? ...and then when I come to my senses I remember that I'm the point - whether you approve of yourself is the only thing that matters, no one else should have that kind of sway in your life...
    if someone doesn't like you, they're totally not worth killing yourself for, don't let them have that kind of power.

Does this make any sense?

3. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I hope they don't react poorly if and when you come out to them. You never know. But if they do react negative, you have us here if no one else. But try to at least surround yourself with some people who will be supportive of you. :slight_smile:

4. shinji

shinji Guest

Trying to explain "suicide" to someone who himself has never stood on the precipice, is pointless, as this person can never truly understand how you are feeling.

5. hiddenxrainbows

I think Shinji is right. That's like trying to explain a color to a blind person. It's almost impossible to explain to them and they probably won't explain it anyway. Because if someone has never experienced something for themselves, then they willnever fully understand it. So try not to take what your parents say too personally. They've just never been that down.

And if you come out to them and they react badly, that will be hard, but do try not to hurt yourself over them. No one is truly worth that, no matter how much they've hurt you. I know how rejection and depression feel tho, I've dealt with both plenty of times. So if you need someone to talk to, you can always message me