1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which gender do you hang out with more?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jax12, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would assume that gay guys (for example) would have more friends as girls because their interests align more (into guys, for example).

I would also assume that straight guys would have more friends as guys because their interests align more (into girls, for example).

Agree? Disagree? What are your thoughts on this?

2. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I have more guy friends, but that's mainly due to our similar interests and hatred for the same things.

But I have a lot in common with my girlfriends as well. If I'm having boy problems, or if I want to gossip or talk about fashion and other stereotypically "feminine" things, I can go to them.

3. Yosia

I think what you said about gay men having similar interests to girls etc is quite stereotypical. But I will answer the question regardless.

It doesn't bother me what gender the person I am hanging out with is, I have more female friends but I have quite a few male ones too. Not forgetting the few who aren't either gender ^.^

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does seem stereotypical... I guess the world is too different to base it off of just one thing. Thanks for the responses guys.

5. antibinary

I have more friendships with boys than girls, but that's because of circumstances and interests beiung similar. I have few female friends (One of which I only see twice a year) and one non-binary friend but the rest are male.

6. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hang out equally with girls and guys. :wink: But, I get along with guys somehow better..

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's always truth in stereotypes! I do hang out with more girls, I think, or at least in general I feel more comfortable talking to them. It's usually girls or gay guys. Hardly any straight guys, although I like some!

8. Lyr110

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hang out with a lot more girls tbh, and it don't bother me at all. Girls are hilarious on a night out, and guys can be fun too like but from a friendship perspective I find girls easier to be friends with. I do have guy friends though, my groups are mixed, but weigh heavily on the female side.

9. Justinian20

I have always had more female friends than male friends especially in high school. But I've certainly been making effort to make more male friends. I hang out with my guy friends more than my female friends nowadays, Mostly one on one though, it just seems I can actually be a little more confident with one on one socializing with guys. I never really could talk to them, in my teenager years I was definitely hanging out with my female friends far more often.

10. ChameleonSoul

I pretty much have an equal number of male and female friends. Although the person I would consider to be my closest friend is female, so I guess there is some truth to the stereotype as well.

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2014 at 09:01 AM ----------

I pretty much have an equal number of male and female friends. Although the person I would consider to be my closest friend is female, so I guess there is some truth to the stereotype as well.

11. thekillingmoon

I don't prefer one gender to another when it comes to friendships, except I kinda avoid being friendly with straight men now because I don't want them to get the wrong idea. So if I end up talking to someone it's usually other women. Can't say that I always have more in common with women though, it's more about what kind of person they are and what their interests are. I don't know any women who play video games a lot, for example.

12. mapleluv

While you're definitely right that people tend to hang out with other people with similar interests to theirs, those interests have nothing to do with one's sexuality.

I'm a lesbian & also quite feminine. So almost all of my friends are women, & definitely all of my closest friends. Most guys just aren't interested in doing yoga & getting mani-pedis together.

Of course, this leads to the, "So is she a friend or a friend?" question getting asked a lot, ha.

13. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of my friends are guys. I was once told that I ignore woman. Had much reflection when someone close to me had suggested that and I gave much thought to it. I concluded I had serious mother issues due to a very overpowering mother when I was younger (other threads reflect more details in this); and this has lead me to ignore woman (except for my ex wife).

I have now tried to develop personal relationships with woman (have plenty in a professional environment), but given where I am in my life, the opportunities to do so are far and few.

I should also add, I do like hanging out with lesbians in social situations, I have a better ability to relate to them over straight woman.

14. tyler h

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a pretty even mix of the two. There may be a few more girls than guys (don't really care to try to count) but in my group of best friends, it's 3 guys (including me) and 3 girls. The only reason I might have more girl friends over all would be because I act and go to theater camp, where there are just more girls than guys (no denying), and I'm currently the only guy employed where I work scooping icecream. So my coworker friends are all female and it's more likely that I make a female friend when doing a show, but I can make male friends just as easily, really.

15. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can count the number of female friends I have on, well, no hands. There is not a single woman I hang out with at all. It is not that I ignore women, I have a few female acquaintances that I talk with irregularly, but never persistently engage with. All of my friends that I maintain consistent contact with and hang out with are guys.

16. Erick

I hang out with 70% girls 30% females because in our schools the guys are usually the lazy type that don't try in school and the girls are the "outstanding ones".There are a total of 800 students in our the top 50 are all females with the exception of me and another guy.

Thus I am almost forced to be friends with girls because most of them are in upper level classes, but it's okay! I love girls and can relate to them, but my best friend is a guy and I like to spend time with him more than anyone else !

17. Covalent

Covalent Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My friend group is 60/40, guys girls, respectively. I find I am more at ease with my male friends, but if I have a social problem, or just need someone to vent, I'll usually go to one of my female friends. I've found they're generally better with advice and listening.

18. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    To be honest, I still hang out with straight girls, but I'm only thirteen and I don't know any gay girls. -_- I mean, boys are definitely comfortable around me, knowing that I couldn't possibly be attracted to them, and sometimes even talk to me about girls (romantically), but I find that as a teenager, I've had enough change for one year. My friends didn't suddenly change when I came out; it's pretty much the same group of friends for me as before, although I lost a few in the process. For most teenagers, although I can only speak for myself, I think that it mostly depends on your friend group before you come out.

19. puppiesarecute

All of my really close friends are female or other. But people that I talk to about really deep stuff but don't really hang out with unless it's a party/concert/event and tend to go a while without talking to are usually male.

20. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Most of my friends, if not 90% of them are straight guys. They don't know my sexuality. All except one of course... I hang out with them because often I find it to be much easier to relate to them, and they have qualities in a person that I much prefer than those often typical of girls. It's not that I have anything against girls, I just hate the whole cutesy, vulnerable and often fake act that the girls (that I encounter) put on. And also, by preference I rather steer well clear away from all girls unless they have boyfriends, show absolutely no romantic or physical interest in me, or if they are part of the LGBT community. I'm not saying that every girl I meet shows an interest in me (that would be narcissistic), but there always seems to be some odd flirting and tension every time I make a new girl friend... that and because I have absolutely zero attraction to them, I act very nice to them and somewhat chivalrously, complimenting them and overall being very comfortable around them (without the nervousness of trying to get into their pants), and sometimes this can be entirely misconstrued or they might think I am trying to make a move on them... it's gotten very messy for me in the past...