1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends and Parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by David21201, Dec 7, 2014.

1. David21201

ok, so a month ago my best friend moved to Colorado. We have been keeping in touch ever since because she has a hard time making friends and has mild social anxiety. Well recently she has been blowing up on me and my girlfriend for no reason. She has been more isolated even refusing to go to school.
    My girlfriend and I were talking to her mom (who is like our mom too, but I'm the only one out to her). Her mom said that our friend has had a shorter temper towards her sister and to the entire family. We all came up with the idea to fly out to Colorado a d surprise her, thinking it may help her realize we aren't so far away from each other.
    I just asked MY parents and the said no to the week we were originally planning. I was so infuriated with them. I cannot tell them what has been going on with her. My parents refuse to talk to her mom. I have the money for a ticket there and all i need my parents for is a ride and money for the way back. I plan on asking them again.
    Now for my questions.
    How do I help my friend deal with her problems when im 900 miles away? How should I re-ask my parents about the trip? How should I help my gf if we cant go? (She is suicidal and is prone to break downs... she had one earlier today) She wanted to come out over this trip but right now it doesnt look like it's going to happen. Last but not least, if i do go, how can I prepare myself emotional to see the family I trust and love again?
    Sorry for the wall of text..

2. sexwax

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    is she gay but closeted? not exactly sure why you need to comfort her?

3. David21201

ok my gf is a bisexual and was planning on coming out to my one friends mom. Both need to have somebody there with them so the dont shut down like I do. My friend has a companion dog but she also needs human interaction. My gf is alone when she isnt with me because her parents wouldnt give a shit if sge ran away, so she feels like she isnt loved. Both cant be alone and get emotional, thus leaving me to be the rock, but occasionally its my friend if i need support

4. tyler h

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just something I'm seeing to keep in mind: A friend is not a therapist. A girlfriend is not a therapist. These are people that we feel close enough to to share all of our troubles and woes and feelings, but we can't expect them to be able to help solve them all. A friend can be great to talk something out with, but when someone is suicidal or in need of a huge amount of support, it's so important that a professional help take control. Just, please, especially know that (ESPECIALLY at such a young age), a girlfriend, a boyfriend, a friend can't be a therapist.

5. David21201

hey... you say exactly what I say to them all the time... i finally (thank god) got my gf to go get some help from my therapist. So she has that at least... as for the other she vents to me and her mother........ its weird how humans function