1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was it right for her to tell her boyfriend about me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FightingShadows, Dec 8, 2014.

1. FightingShadows

I have this friend who, when I came out to her, proceeded to tell everyone she knew (and people she'd just met) I was trans when talking about me. And when I found out, I flipped out on her and told her that that was completely unnecessary. That coming out to her was for her and no one else and from there on out, I didn't want anyone else to know. I told her, when you talk about me, I'm Alex. That's it. No "(Birth name) who goes by Alex" because that confuses people. So I'm pretty sure she never brought me up to anyone again but then she got this new boyfriend and she said when she talked about hanging out with me, he'd wonder what our relationship was really like. That if I was her guy friend, did she have feelings for me and that kind of thing. She'd keep telling him no and that we were best friends and that's it, but apparently her boyfriend was still worried about it so she told him I was trans just to ease his mind. It's been awhile since this happened but I still think about it and wonder if she was right to tell him about me. What do you guys think?

2. mangotree

I think she should ask you before telling anyone.
    I had a parallel experience with the first friend that I came out to as gay. He felt like it was okay to tell his girlfriend and his dad without asking me. Not nice.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

No one deserves to be outed without permission.

I also dislike the fact she told her boyfriend to 'ease his mind'. It's like hinting to him that you're not a real guy so he doesn't have to be jealous. Wow.

4. mangotree

True. She could have just said that you're a gay guy.
    Assuming she had your permission to tell him that.

5. FightingShadows

Yeah. There are so many things she could have said instead of outing me. Luckily I don't hang around her often. I really don't even know why she still considers us 'best friends'. I barely consider her a friend anymore.

6. Vampire

She had absolutely no right whatsoever to out you without your consent. This is not something anyone should do, no matter who or what they are.

What she did goes to say how selfish she is and how little she cared about you.

To be frank, I'm glad you stopped hanging around her much. It's a wise choice.

Best wishes,
    Andrew