1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by maselalala, Dec 8, 2014.

1. maselalala

Okay.... so I have a homophobic dad... He can be an asshole, but he is actually somewhat tolerant. The line however is drawn towards homosexuality. My dad gets nervous by the thought of me dating because he knows I'd date men. He loves me and stuff, but anything involving homosexuality is something that makes my dad uncomfortable... does anyone else experience this? Does this fear make him a jerk?

2. DEMD

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My granddad is a homophobic and I'm way too scared to come out to him.

I wouldn't say it made him a jerk but like why don't you try sit down and have a chat about how you can't help dating men and it should have no impact on your realtionship?

3. maselalala

I like that idea :slight_smile:
    But honestly, he isn't the understanding type... :frowning2:
    I'll try though to move on and so I can feel better about myself! :grin:

4. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Neither of my parents are extremely homophobic, but neither of them are particularly accepting, or even tolerant of the LGBTQ community. Maybe trying to ease him into it could work. The one thing that you need to make sure of first is that he knows that you are who you are and you're not changing. With most homophobic family members, they cling on to the belief that homosexuality is just a passing phase.

5. maselalala

That is true, but my dad is a pretty stubborn man... It could take the rest of his life for him to realize that being gay is a part of who I am... :frowning2: