1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is femininity in men so hated and disliked?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Fantie, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Fantie

Fantie Guest

?????????????

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it? I find it quite attractive.

3. WearyWanderer

Me too. :slight_smile:

As for people who don't like it, I don't know...maybe they're just traditionalists? "Boys should do this, girls should do this, blah blah blah"

4. jeepsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One possible explanation for this is sexism. I don't wanna prolong this but i hope you get the drift :slight_smile:

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am over people who are gender minded and think the male/female genders should have these specific qualities. I don't think it disliked much in our community but there are some who are against it but I think it is because they are insecure about being accepted as gay and having to deal with those stereotypes.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Gender roles, sexism, etc.

Men who are sexist towards women tend to display this behavior more so because they think 'A man is a man, and to behave like a woman is weakness'.

7. Adam1969

Yes, I think sexism, homophobia... or specifically mens insecurity and need to be "manly" at all times. I think some straight men at least might also be a bit attracted to this, or are nervous that they'd even consider this attraction briefly, and this scares them, makes them question themselves. I also believe that way too many straight guys think that gay =s we want to bed THEM specifically at all times including now, as if gay men are crazy predators... so when they see a guy like this they get nervous. Its ridiculous!! Anyway "fem" guys are the hottest - have always been my fav!

8. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't get it either, I don't know why so many people get so stuck on gender roles that they try to force them on everyone. I cringe every time I see a feminine man or masculine woman in a movie or tv show used either as comic relief or something evil.

I know that in recent times women's gender roles have gotten more attention, but men have this problem just as bad if not worse. I say, let's just let everyone be themselves.

For the record, I don't mind feminine guys at all...I like people who don't conform.

9. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to hate them too. They reflected the courage, to act as they feel like, that I never had =/
    Now I sympathize them a lot :slight_smile:

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because sexism.

Also, I LOVE feminine men.

Adrienne

11. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Because culture and society's gender rules.

Femininity in men is accepted more in some cultures than others.

But yeah, I've gotten lots of shit for the way I dress and act, particularly from Americans or older people.
    But fuck it and fuck them.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because our society sees men as the strong ones, and if they show femininity then they are not strong.

It's a double standard really.

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because some people think femininity is weakness and yes this is sexist. It pisses me off because it's stupid. And anyone that believes women are inferior is basically shooting themselves in the foot. We could've enjoyed more scientific breakthroughs if we treated women more seriously.

In terms of gender expression, I'm middle of the road. Sure, I've done stupid things for 'man points' and I've got no more time for outdated high school mentalities. It even took me a while to be comfortable crying in private. Sometimes you've gotta let the hurt out to process it and recover. Men have feelings... PEOPLE have feelings! Some guys can't cry even when they really want to, but that doesn't mean they aren't feeling sad inside.

I hate the taste of beer and dislike watching football. But I've thrown knives for FUN. Playing darts is obviously only half as manly! PSA: don't throw knives into living trees because it kills them. Maybe we should capture bigots and throw knives into them instead xD I'm a fighter with an artistic temperament. If anyone has a serious problem with that, I'll paint with their blood!

14. KingJude

I agree with many of the people who have already posted. I find femininity quite an attractive quality in man.

15. howsit

howsit Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, hatred is for small-minded BIGOTs and insecure people. Why people aren't attracted to feminine men is pretty obvious. Those gay men (myself included) find both the male sex and the male gender attractive. Before anybody tries to say that gender roles are defined by society and therefore moots the point...

Put in leftist queer terminology: if a transgendered person born female feels "male" and refers to other non transexuals as cisgendered, everybody understands what they are talking about: that their sex and gender match up. How you feel (male or female) manifests in the way you behave: gesticulation, voice intonation, attire, language, interests. And there is no way to get around the "feel" of masculinity. As much as feminine guys who are not comfortable with themselves will try to rearrange what they see as a societal construct, it will simply not happen. The feeling of being a man, and the stereotypical qualities of masculinity go hand-in-hand. It's the same way certain characteristics we attribute to masculinity (competitiveness, assertiveness etc.) or femininty (nuturing, attached) can be scientifically traced to hormones that typically appear more predominantely in one sex than the other (e.g. testosterone, estrogen, oxytocin).

16. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Idk why. I personally LOVE fem men. My boyfriend is not majorly fem or majorly masculine, but he definately has a fem side that I absolutely love!

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Except feminine men are *still* men.

I won't pretend to speak for everyone, but having been raised in a conservative environment, anyone who rocked the boat too much was suspect, and I was very uncomfortable around those types of guys. That's changed lately, and while there might be a biological component to what someone finds attractive, I found a lot of that was societal baggage, ie sexism, homophobia, misogyny.

I'd ask those guys who immediately write feminine men off how many they actually know personally, and if they've ever given them a chance. At one time, I wouldn't be caught dead near one, for fear of what others would think and say, but now, don't give a damn. That, aside from the fact that there are many types of feminine expressions, and most people are a combination of traits that are deemed masculine, feminine, or neither.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's seen as weak which is stupid because as a feminine women myself I would hate someone to tell me I'm weak . Because I have kicked a few non believers asses , who thought I was weak because I'm girly .:dry:
    Mostly other females and one guy .
    I think it's because being a female is seen as weak so femininity is seen as week .

19. bornthiswaybby

Well I guess I'm going to be the first person to step up and speak on the opposite side... I myself am not a fan of a "femme" guy, and it is most definitely not due to sexism, because I definitely support feminism and gender equality. I find my issue is generally that I find femme guys annoying. I don't know why, maybe it's some internalized homophobia (which I doubt simply because I'm not homophobic...) or maybe I have traditional views on how a man should act. I honestly don't know. My simplest explanation would be that I usually get annoyed. It's likely a problem rooted within myself.