1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Going Insane.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by iiimee, Dec 11, 2014.

1. iiimee

Hey guys, Chase here. So... I love my Godmother. She raised me since I was five. I've been going to my church since I was five and I love it. However, the Eastern Orthodox Church does not let gays marry, and transgenders are encouraged to act as the sex they were assigned at birth. I am NOT a girl, though I occasionally put on excessive make-up, meerly to remind people there is no "certain way" a gender should act. I don't want to end this relationship with her or my church... If anyone here knows about my church and it's views then please tell me your experiences and/or opinions. I just starting dating somebody in my class and haven't told anyone yet. I know childhood relationships rarely work, but this person is somebody who wants to take life slow like me, so I feel comfortable dating them... God, why does my godmother not accept bisexuals?! If she did I could tell her... :tears:

2. iiimee

...If anything can help, please do so. I need advice because I have to hang out with my godmother tommarow when I'd rather go on my first date with my partner... Still, I am just hoping nothing homophobic comes up in the conversation... Tempted to wear gothic make-up to my Godmother's just to make her angry at me so we can avoid talking about anything else...

3. Summer1110

I dont have much experience when it comes to religion and orientation, but I do have a lot when it comes to dealing with homophobic family members. With my Aunt, I had to slowly introduce it into her life.
    I started out by just making comments when it came up in conversation like "Theyre still people and they should deserve to love who they love" and use facts and slowly reach the point to where she basically had to accept that I supported it.
    From there I kind of just openly talked about how I found women attractive or would mention LGBT stuff around her. She slowly just stopped fighting me on it.
    I dont know if this will help you any but I wish you the best

4. I don't know what I can offer as far as advice... but I do understand what its like on the whole religion thing. just last Sunday our pastor gave a sermon on Leviticus and I wanted to scream. I truly hope things et better for you! many hugs coming your way :wink:

5. iiimee

Hmmm, well thanks guys! I appreciate your support and advice at least! There's no way she'll ever fully accept homosexuals, but I wonder if she could accept me being a guy... I doubt it, but honestly I just want to know if there's a way to keep a relationship with homophobic people and live your life... If there is then somebody tell me!

6. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What really matters is that you accept bisexuals. As for the rest of the world, that's less important. :slight_smile:

I've had to accept that we don't have to share everything with everyone. Each relationship we have with other people is distinct and unique. For example, my neighbours are nice people and have helped my over the years, but I do not discuss politics with them, because I know they are on the 'right, conservative' side. So we cannot relate in that area, but in many other areas, we can relate, and I focus on those, and thus we get along very well.

So, maybe your godmother either is not willing or able to accept your sexuality. But that does not undo all the good she has done for you over the years. Of course it would be nice for those close to us to fully accept us, but sometimes, often due to older folks being set in their ways and finding it hard to overturn long-held beliefs, that doesn't happen. No-one really gets to know all of us anyway. Everyone just has a picture, an image of us they have formed over years, just as we have only pictures of others in our lives, and not the whole story. It could be that, there are simply some things which you can share with family, and some things you can only share with friends. I suspect it is like that for quite a few other folks here as well. Of course you might choose to share the information with her, but if you do, be emotionally prepared for any kind of response. Be strong in yourself to the extent that even if you were rejected, you could cope. Until you know that for sure, I would bide my time for now.