1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Najlen, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Najlen

I met a guy at a party this summer. He shall be referred to as N. We hit it off pretty well, or I think we did, and we think the same way. I think he's the first person I've met who thinks like I do. We both wear trench coats almost every day. (Well, he does. When it's really cold, I wear a cloak instead because it's warmer.) He is kind of me the way I wish I was. We both game; he's really good at it but I only started last year and am terrible. I try to stay collected and always think logically, he doesn't have to try. Stuff like that. To give you an idea of how in tune our minds are, about a month ago I decided to purchase a grey deerstalker. (Perhaps better known as a Sherlock hat.) N had been on vacation, and when he got back, guess what he showed up wearing? That's right, a grey deerstalker. That was probably a fluke, but still. There is no way he could have known that I wanted one. We even look the same. I had to do a figure drawing project for art, so I got a group of people together to pose for my reference photos, including N. I showed them to my mother later, and she asked me why I was in them.
    Me: "No, mom, that's N!"
    Mom: "Seriously? That's just weird."
    We are both in our school's concert choir, and we both sing the low parts. (He's a bass, I'm an alto- tenor- thing.) Anyway, I digress.

We are not friends. We are friends with a lot of the same people, but we aren't friends. I really, really want to be. If I didn't know better, I would suspect a serious crush, but I've thought about that and I'm 110% sure that it isn't. I'm not sure why we aren't friends. I know it isn't because I'm female-ish, because all but one of his friends are girls. Part of the problem is probably that I never learned to make friends because all my friends made me. I sort of suspect that the same thing happened to him, because all of his friends are loud people, same as mine. Loud people seem to know how to make friends. I don't care what people think of me. Not until now. I care what N thinks, a lot, which is pretty weird for me.

I thought I was getting somewhere for a while, but I'm not sure anymore. The first day I wore my cloak, he asked me if it was a Gryffindor cloak, I told him no, it was a cloak of House Grey, and I didn't know what our values were yet. He made me promise to figure out the values of House Grey and explain them to him by the end of school. At lunch, he found me and asked what I had come up with, so I told him that I valued observation and cheesecake. Then, one of his friends (we'll call him J) ran up and hit N with a Gatorade bottle for no apparent reason. So N and I plotted the fake murder of J. The next day, the Musical Theater class was pull out of choir and we had the option to go with them and watch or stay and watch a movie. I wanted to sit with N so I waited to see where he would go. He walked toward the doors and when he got close he started looking around and trying to go really slowly, I don't know if he was trying to wait for me or if he didn't know his other friends had left already. I walked over and he asked me where I was going. I said I didn't know, and he said he didn't know where he was going either. He ended up going to watch the movie, I followed him and we ended up sitting together. That was probably mostly because his other friends were all crammed onto a small couch with no room left for him. We talked during the movie, but we hadn't since then until yesterday, when I had a question about a video game. Unfortunately, since our brains are logical and the game was not, he wasn't much help, but at least we talked. I just succeeded in embarrassing myself though, because I forgot what PC means and didn't remember until it was too late.

Sorry this is so long and rambling, but what do you guys think? Any advice on how to make friends or talk to people you don't know very well, that would be awesome. Do you think he might want to talk to me also? Thank you so much for helping!

2. bounced

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry but this all sounds very strange... cheesecake?

3. Najlen

I like cheesecake, and I couldn't think of anything else. It is strange, I know. Sorry if it's confusing.

Update: Today the choir and band went to perform at a couple of elementary schools, and N and I talked a little. He wanders around aimlessly fairly often, and he sometimes walks towards me but then goes away, like he wants to say something but decides not to. I can't be sure I'm not imagining this, though.

If anyone knows what to make of this situation, I'd appreciate your input. I don't totally understand it myself, though, so i understand if you can't think of anything.

4. Itisthefear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well time will tell, if you guys go out with some common friend for a couple of times it will be very easy for you to develop your relationship
    Try to feel more relaxed and try to initiate conversations with him, you can joke with him about how much you guys look alike (for example you can say that incident with your mom )