1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I start talking to a guy?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mumty, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Mumty

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To cut a long story short,
    A cute guy transferred to our school this year, I find him attractive, there's a chance he could be gay.

I'm in choir with him and every once in a while (ie. all the time because I can't stop looking at him) he's looking at me, and then I just look away. Today, I had the chance to talk to him but I just couldn't, like there was some barrier between me and him.

Or this could be nothing and when I look, he looks because I'm looking at him and he's freaked out.

And saying "just talk to him or chat him" doesn't work because I can't really go around outing myself to people.

It's killing me knowing what could happen!

2. KingJude

Hi there! :grin: Talking to him/chatting to him doesn't necessarily mean outing yourself. Why not just chat with him, and become friends first? Then you can try and find out whether he is gay/bi etc. You don't have to hit on him immediately!

#2 KingJude, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take it in baby steps:

1. When you see him next, make eye contact; when he looks back, smile and nod your head
    2. Thereafter, keeping eye contact, walk up to him
    3. Keep your eyes on him, and extend your hand towards him
    4. Say "hello, my name is -------; I know your relatively new in school, and I want to introduce myself to you."
    5. He will most like say "hello, my name is -------, nice to meet you".
    6. Ask him if he would like to hang out at some point.

Take this in each step. One at a time. It's hard if you just think of it all together, but by breaking up the introduction in your head in pieces, it gets easier.

Also, this is exactly how people introduce themselves to one another. There is nothing unusual about it. Maybe it's a bit nerve racking, but it is just as common as the sun rising and setting every day.