1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loving relationship or Codependance?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by OnTheHighway, Dec 14, 2014.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Curious what people's views are reflecting the difference between a relationship where two people are in love and when the relationship crosses over to being one of codependance? There have a been a few discussions about it recently and it's caused me to think bout it in terms of my relationship whereby:

- My partner and I love each other very much;
    - We are very open and expressive of one another and communicate frequently, even when we are not together;
    - When we do communicate, we are open and honest and listen to each other;
    - When we are not working or traveling for work, we want to spend the majority of our free time together;
    - We like hanging out with other couples socially, although given how much time we are apart, we rarely do;
    - We do at times hang out, independently of one another, with our respective friends;
    - We both work and generate income, pay our respective direct expenses independently of one another, although I typically cover the expenses for activities we do together given I do earn more,
    - Given we both travel quite a bit, we are apart from one another just as much as we are together, probably half our time,
    - When we are not together, he is always on my mind, I am sad he is not with me, and I am always thinking about him; and based on our discussions, he seems to do the same thing.

As I look at my relationship, it seems to be a healthy loving relationship. When would it cross the line and become codependent?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well a healthy relationship is a healthy give and take where both partners are content and happy, where you trust each other and can communicate...

3. IWICCO

Why are you conccerned about codependency? It seems the two of you have a great relationship. To answer your question, I would say it is either when you feel or actually cannot function without him or if there is some sort of abuse in the relationship and you remain in it. If you reach a point where you need him to feel like you have a purpose in life you may be crossing the line.