1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Over 'Crush' Help

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Haim, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, so I've had it pretty bad for someone for over a year. I don't know if 'crush' is the right word, it's possibly a little stronger than that. This person is someone I see quite often, in fact there is no way I could avoid this person without making drama with my tight knit social group. There is no way anything would happen between us, as she is happy in a committed relationship.

I have been trying to get over her for months. I dated someone else to see if that helped, and it did for a little while but images of her started coming into my head when we were together. Things have since ended with this other person.

I don't want to get involved with someone while this crush is hanging over my head. Any advice or :help:?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While she is in a committed relationship, maybe you need to hear from her directly that a relationship with you will not work. Have you thought about talking to her? Explain you know she is in a relationship, but this is how you feel?

3. Sek

Sek

Take it easy on yourself. I've had this problem before where I've liked someone so much but we couldn't date, eventually I got over him so well that now I wonder what I ever saw in him.. I guess I was just infatuated.

Getting over him started by trying to accept that we were at least friends and I was grateful I at least had that. You obviously like her company so forget the labels of relationships and be happy that you're at least friends. Being content with friendship will help you get over not being in a relationship since you'll focus on what you do have rather than what you don't have, which is good since we always overestimate what having something will be like.

4. scouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Distance would work best but id thats not an option then maybe try and change your thinking i.e. Stop yourself when you find youre thinking of her and do something else, something to take your mind off her. Think of the negatives of getting together also, and focus on your friendship.

I have to be honest part of me thinks that the only way to get over a crush is to hear the words no from them. Some sort of closure. But my heart is with you, these sort of crushes are so difficult and can really hurt. I hope it works out for you.

5. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: I'm not sure telling her how I feel is the right answer, she is one of my best friends and any akwardness between us would kill me.

I'll take your advice and just concentrate on our friendship/try and actively stop any romantic thoughts.