1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend obsessed with my sexuality?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sofie, Dec 16, 2014.

1. sofie

sofie Guest

So I started college this fall and I decided to be true to myself and come out to the people I considered my friends. I'm still in the closet to family and the majority of people back home but at college I'm mostly out. I told the two people I hang out with the most at the start of the term that I was gay and they seemed fine and supportive.

Since then one of them has suddenly stopped talking to me and keeps avoiding me in class. I have no idea why and I'm frankly a little paranoid that I did or said something to her. I might have to add that she has seemed very uncomfortable with me being gay, not responding whenever I mentioned anything lgbtq-related and ALWAYS talking about her perfect boyfriend etc. So that left me with only one friend left...

Now the other girl I hang out with is ALWAYS referring to me being gay and it's very annoying and it makes me feel very bad and uncomfortable. It's comments like "Oh he's a hottie, but you only like vagina right?" and other kinda obscure things and it doesn't matter if we're alone or around other people and I don't know what to do about it. I mean she is supportive and all but I feel like I'm a "lesbian toy" to her that she can put on display and make her feel more supportive or open-minded. I feel like me being gay is the only thing she likes about me and I don't like that feeling at all, I'm much more than my sexuality!

Has anyone else ever experienced this?
    What can I do about it?

Need advice on this! Thanks (*hug*)

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    unfortunately, you may need to find other friends. You just started college this fall, so these are recent relationships. They are showing their true colors. Use the time you have to find others that are more understanding, supportive and considerate. You have plenty of time to do so.

3. sofie

sofie Guest

Thank you, I kinda knew it but I didn't want to admit it but hearing someone else say it makes it a little more real. I don't like "starting over" but I have, as you said, plenty of time :slight_smile:

4. ithinkiamgay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just read this now.

Here're my 2 cents.
    Why come out to people who aren't that important/close to you?

Friends from school?
    Why not let them keep guessing about your date?
    Stay a mystery!
    I'd have come out to only those I NEED to.

5. sofie

sofie Guest

I felt like I wanted to be out and be my true self. I'm so sick of hiding and moving to college seemed to be the best time to "start over". I did not however want my sexuality to be the main focus of my friendship.. I just wanted to be free

6. Rainbows~Exist

Yes. And I still experience it... but in a good way. My bestie was so happy when I told her, she said she always wanted a gay friend to "Talk about boys together!" It can be annoying sometimes but don't worry too much. Your friend's probably just 'obsessed' because she's never had a gay friend before. It'll wear off.