1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend with strict parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mischief, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Having been friends with her for 3 years, I have come to terms with the fact that her parents are incredibly strict (I believe they are religious). They have viewed me as female, so they have let her hang around with me. But now that I'm out as trans, I feel as though I won't ever be able to go to her house, or go anywhere with her. I'm seriously worried what impact this will have on our relationship; I really do not want to lose her as a friend as she is my closest one.

I'm really not sure what to do about it at this point. :bang:

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Have you talked to her about this ?

3. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I have, but whenever I do it's the same uneasy "Yeah.. they're alright with it"

4. Manta

It sounds like your friend has already spoken with them (and maybe championed you) so you should be able to sit down with them.

You could try meeting with her parents in a neutral setting (cafe, park, etc) and talk things through a bit, establish common ground or any new rules (I know my parent's rules for hanging out with guys were different from hanging out with girls).

I'm not familiar with your home situation, but if you've got a supportive family member who could be with you that could be a big help.

If you approach them in a mature and respectful way, they will most likely be receptive. A parent's main worry is their kid being in danger of physical/psychological harm, so if you show you won't be a negative influence or danger to your friend, I feel they will most likely be accepting of you.

5. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Thanks for the advice Manta, I've got a whole six weeks to plan this through. Not sure what could go wrong, really. I've met her parents twice, and they're truly lovely people.