1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Stressful balance of school work and love life

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DarkMatter69, Dec 20, 2014.

1. DarkMatter69

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, so where do I begin?
    Hello, I am 17, gay and open about it (except my father) and things were going well up until I had to go to college.

In my GCSEs, I achieved 8 A*s, 3 A's and 1 B. Top of my year, "Going places this one is" etc etc.
    Of course, with Secondary school out of the way, College was just around the corner. Applied. Was accepted. Currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and History.

Going further back. Since year 9 I was in love with my best friend, madly in love, maybe obsessed even. We did things, he assured me he was straight. Heart broken. A lot of pain. Now that is over, we're still friends I'm over him and he is very confused. When choosing colleges, he chose the one I got into and was also accepted.

College life was good to begin with, then it just entered a violent maelstrom of destruction and stress. Not doing as well as I hoped (which is unfortunate as I am a perfectionist), the work was piling on and then I met these two guys.

They had gone to my Primary, and it was entire coincidence that both of them had gone to my first school. We got talking and 3 months later, all 3 of us are inseparable. Every day we spend as many minutes as possible together, despite them been in different courses.

Perhaps one day I will look back on it and think I shouldn't have done it, but basically they introduced me to weed, and I do enjoy it. We're always smoking together and just been chill.

Now, I am smart, I know the dangers and consequences, and I KNOW I'm spending too much time with them. I have high aspirations where as (despite how much I like them) they don't really. They just mess around in college. Its having an effect on my grades, and I just cannot be arsed doing anything about it. I'm finding physics really hard, and I want to drop it because I'm doing so badly and I don't really need it for my future career.

Within the 3 months of getting to know them again, I got particularly attached to one of then. It may seem quick, but now I know I am in love and he shows so many signs of been interested. Little things like the hug that lasts longer than it should, holding hands, spooning if we sleep over at each others houses, and the way he always says he loves me, in person and when finishing a phone call.

I am quite weak minded, if he asks me to do something for him, I would do it out of sheer devotion. Now, I don't blame him, but I know spending so much time and money on him is seriously effecting my progression.

I am getting stressed at the lack of work I am doing, frustrated at my relationship with said person, and I am finding it really hard to cope. The weed helps.

Please, read and try your best to offer advice because I honestly only see one way out- I'll let you assume what that is.

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to find a balance between your classwork and your friends. If that means buckling down during the week and only hanging out with them on weekends, then so be it. If your grades really are important to you, then it’s essential to make them a priority and place boundaries. Friends and having fun is important but so is the education necessary to pursue your dreams. Keep tabs on everything that you're supposed to get done and hold yourself responsible to those tasks. I find rewards help, allowing myself to do something that I want to only when I've finished everything that I need to get done.

It sounds like you could have something special with this guy. But if he doesn’t respect you, your decisions, and your boundaries then he’s probably not the best guy.

And if you don't need physics for your career and you're not enjoying it, drop it. In my opinion there's no point in forcing yourself through something that isn't fun and isn't useful.

3. DarkMatter69

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know that rewarding ones self after doing everything that must be done is a really good way to go about things, but I just simply lack the determination and will power to get through it.

Today (23/12/2014) I am suppose to finish all of my Chemistry, so it frees me up over Christmas and allows me to get Biology and History complete. I have tons of Physics homework, but I see no point in doing it if I'm just going to drop it when I return after half term break.

I go to electives for extra revision, some compulsory, some by choice and every time I say "I can't walk home" they do always try to persuade me otherwise, but I stand firm and I just hang out with them later, which I guess isn't so much of a bad thing.

It's just finding the actual will power, to, do the work that needs to be done, and do EXTRA on top of that if I am going to achieve the high grades I need to get into University. I am naturally gifted I believe, not having to put near as much effort in as others to get grades (this poor guy in my Biology class works non stop and I still do better than him and it makes me feel guilty), but I know natural ability alone won't get me where I need to go.

I've also began to get very, VERY, bored when I am not around the two of these friends. I find myself lost with what to do, procrastinating, wishing I was with them (when there is literally a pile of work in the corner of my room eyeing me up) and find it hard to believe I've lived 17 years without their company. Guess I get attached too easy.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I'm stuck. I cannot set boundaries due to lack of determination and will power. I do have dreams of a high end career, but I view the journey there impossible to complete.

4. DarkMatter69

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anyone...?

:tantrum:

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know what the issues are. They are in your own post.

You want it both ways. To get good academic results AND piss around with your mates who are a distraction and who couldn't give a toss about the quality of your studies

What you need is to "get unstuck" and do something about these issues.

Coursework. Think of the bigger picture. Why you are doing this - presumably to lay foundations for a great university and onward career. "I do have dreams of a high end career" to quote you. just focus on that idea alone and whether dropping a subject is wise. Or necessary. Can you fast forward 10 years and then the future you looks back and says "DarkMatter - get excited about these subjects they are really cool and necessary for the job I want" and somehow re-engage with them. I put this matter first above the weed and the friends as it is really a big issue. If the subjects are too much, or unnecessary for your future goals then that is another matter.

Weed. Watch out. It may be fun but it is distracting you from he coursework and it can have negative psychological effects further down the line in later life (anxiety, depression, psychosis, depersonalisation) I have seen this too many times. Moderation if nothing else.

The relationships. If you are hanging around people who are less interested in their studies, it will undermine your own goals. In fact you acknowledge this yourself. So I go back to the "coursework" comments above. Decide what is more important to you.

"I cannot set boundaries due to lack of determination and will power." well, maybe now it is time to wake up and make some changes for 2015 ???

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds a lot like me in my last 2 years of high school, minus the weed and crazy friends though. I had similar grades and was a perfectionist etc. etc. but struggling with my feelings for my best friend... also with really good grades and a perfectionist...

Well.. my way of dealing with that was to take a gap year on exchange to Costa Rica. But since that doesn't seem like an option here, I'll try to give you some advice.

Ok, so this friend you like a lot, he knows your gay? Have you considered telling him about how you feel?

Also, have you considered talking to your friends about how you're struggling with your courses and feeling a bit lost? They might be able to offer you some support.

Do you have any idea what kind of career you're thinking of pursuing? (This is still a problem for me, I still have no idea...)
    If you do know, let that be a guide for you about what courses you want to do. Just make sure you enjoy what you're doing. It's not worth stressing yourself out to do something that doesn't make you happy.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

7. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went through something similar in my last couple years of high school, particularly the bit about friends and weed.
    Like you, I managed to do pretty well with my IGCSE subjects. Things got a bit shaky after the weed phase kicked in, I used to wag at least a couple periods every day on average to go get high with my friends. I think it's important for you to realise that where you're at in life right now, achieving adequate grades for the career you want later on should take precedence over getting high with your friends and neglecting your studies. I would suggest you let them know that you're struggling with school work and perhaps they'll encourage and motivate you to buckle down and pick up the slack. Peer pressure can be overwhelming, but if these guys really care about you they'll understand.

Just as an anecdote to back up my opinion, of the people I hung out with in high school one was like you - he topped our school in everything, had like a 99.6% average across all his IGCSE subjects. the following year his grades plummeted to Bs. Once he realised he had to prioritise his school work over playing truant and getting blazed everyday it was too late. He ended up coming back for another half year to get those A*s he wanted. Me and him were the only ones in our group that actually climbed out of the hole we all fell into :/.

It's really all about balance, but when the see-saw starts tilting to the wrong side you're gonna have to re-evaluate what's really important. Good luck, I hope you're able to solve this conundrum before it's too late!

P.S Regarding the thing about you not enjoying/excelling at physics I would argue the alternative to what's already been suggested- I think it's a good idea to keep your options open, especially if you don't really know what it is you want to study at university. In fact even if you do think you know what you want to study but aren't 100% sure on it, you don't want to drop a subject impulsively because you think you won't need it for the course you intend to study at university. It might be a good idea to check out potential courses and their pre-requisites, as well as consulting with your school careers counsellor and getting their advice.

Good luck :slight_smile: