1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobes are going to hell

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Fantie, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Fantie

Fantie Guest

1 John 4:18
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

Titus 3:2

To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Matthew 5:22
    But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

Ephesians 6:4
    Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Galatians 5:19-21
    Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Corinthians 13:1-13
    If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;

Galatians 5:22-23
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Corinthians 13:4-7
    Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

2. soulcatcher

No. They're just going to rot like everybody else after they die. This is why it is important that anti-discrimination laws are enacted to protect the LGBT people.

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the reminders Fantie. From an LGBT perspective there are only a few passages of hate in scripture (if you are so minded for them to be) but many, many more passages that speak of love and tolerance. Amid the hyperbole that we hear from conservative and fundamentalist Churches, we must never lose sight of the numerous passages from scripture that totally contradict their over zealous piety. You've posted just a few of them. Very apt for the season of goodwill.

4. Fantie

Fantie Guest

I didn't mean it like that?

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2014 at 09:13 AM ----------

My point was that religious homophobes take the verses on bible as a right to kill/beat or hurt gays in any possible way. Like they are some kind of useless rats who needs to be gone while bible teaches the different ... sometimes.
    Example:
    Kill the gays ... respect others!

5. soulcatcher

These people are hypocrites. I would not use the book full of contradictions between and within it's testaments.

The Bible is ripe with stupidity and personally think has no place in the modern society.

6. BelleFromHell

Personally, I think the idea of afterlife is very unlikely. If Hell does exist, however, it wouldn't surprise me if homophobes already have their own reserved seats.

As an agnostic, I can't disagree. I do think people should still be allowed to read the Bible, though, as long as they don't use it as an excuse to push their religious beliefs on others (which is what the majority of Christians I know do, unfortunately).

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem with the extreme homophobic is that they just start to nitpick and then they use the sections that they want to out of the Bible. When somebody uses these verses against them, it will sometimes bring more hate on a person because you have backed the homophobe in a corner. It's that, or you get the "you can't understand how it works" answer.

People will listen to only what they want to listen to.

8. Brenndo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yea... I understand this. What you speak of, the verses here you provide, is Catholic mentality. Love unconditionally and it will in turn show the face of God to others. Jesus never discriminated against anyone, he showed absolute, perfect love.

It's also not up to us to judge. We can speculate, but not judge others. We are all sinners. It's unfortunate there are people who shove anti-gay Christiam rhetoric in peoples' faces.

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2014 at 02:44 PM ----------

This is really common among the American Evangelist movement. The obsession with individual verses, over analyzing an ancient text. It's really quite illogical, knowing there are obvious contradictions... not just with reality but within the Bible itself. ::sigh::

9. soulcatcher

Exactly. If they want to follow the rules of the bible, then who am I to stop them. Just do not expect others who do not believe in it to do the same or try to use it as an excuse to discriminate against certain minority groups.

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2014 at 08:41 PM ----------

Yes. People interpret the bible in a way that suits them.

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2014 at 08:44 PM ----------

"We are all sinners."

Well, isn't that a bit of a self-deprecating outlook?

10. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree that if you actually read the Bible, there's no place for judgement or hate. For every verse the haters use to justify their ridiculous hate, there are so many more promoting love and acceptance, and a different interpretation. Bible literalists make me want to smack my head against the nearest wall.

The reality for me is that the Bible is a book. The earliest of the written Gospels was Mark, and it was written, if I remember right, 50 years after Jesus's death. The next Gospel was written something like 100 years after the book of Mark. Everything accredited to God or Jesus is hearsay and broken-telephoned. And people seem to forget that other people wrote their own teachings as well, the Book of Romans was Paul's teachings (a book often quoted by religious "homophobes"), etc.

And then you have the issue of translations. The most famous mistranslation is that Moses, instead of a big forehead, had horns, which led to a reading of the Bible that claimed that the Israelites were the chosen people of Satan.

And the canonization of the Bible! Hundreds of thousands of candidates for biblical books, what if one of them was "real" too?

The Bible is not infallible and people gave to consider that when they read it.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If the homophobes are going to Hell, maybe I should repent for my sexuality and gender situation, so that I can get into Heaven. I'd hate to be stuck with those guys, for all eternity!

12. soulcatcher

Ahh, but it's not that simple. According to Mark 16:16 anybody who believes and is baptized will be saved.