1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding Somebody to Love (or...date)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Dr. Gay, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Dr. Gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still pretty new to the world of dating, I only came out about 8 months ago. I found a crutch in many online dating/hookup apps to avoid having to flirt with people and do all that messy nonsense in person because I SUCK at it. The logic behind it though was the fact that I have a horrible "gaydar" and am terrified of the awkwardness if I try to hit on/ask out someone only to find out he's straight (well, I'm terrified of putting myself out there at all in person, especially to say hi to someone new). But I've felt so much crushing defeat from online apps, either from them looking/being vastly different in person to them wanting nothing but a hookup (even though they say they want dates and romance...) that I can't put myself through it anymore.

I guess what I'm saying is...any advice on how to get to know more gay people? I also want to try to keep it near my school (though since I'm a senior and going to go to a different school next year, probably doesn't matter) because my last and only relationship crashed and burned partly due to being long distance. And I know I could join my school's GSA but it's currently in the phase where they have like 5 members so it wouldn't help much. I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels here. :bang:

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Even with five members, that GSA could lead you to networks of others.

Oh, and the flirting thing? Straight guys will assume you're joking, so don't worry about it too much.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I have had similar experiences as you using online tools, I have also had vastly different experiences and have found, if you ignore the "hook up" nonsense and are clear, direct and honest with your intentions and objectives, using the right online tools can help lead to relationships.

That said, I did meet my current partner in public while we were standing across from one another, while we both happened to have an app on our phone and started to talk with one another that way. It took us four months of chatting before we agreed to meet for a date, and now the rest is history.

There is no right way to find the love of your life. Instead, try exploring as many avenues as possible. And try not to close the door on any one:

Join an LGBT community group;
    Join an LGBT sports league if there is one in your area;
    Get involved in a local charity;
    Use online tools with the appropriate degree of directness and discretion;
    Live life and meet as many people as possible.

Keep an open mind, and you will never know where your love may come from.

4. soulcatcher

Try joining a hobby club.