1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First relationship with a man but I don't want to have sex

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Lear, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Lear

I'm having a problem that is probably a bit weird and I could really do with some advice. :icon_sad:

I have only started identifying myself as bisexual (or maybe pansexual, I'm not sure) about a year ago. I'd been attracted to men before but I always thought this was some kind of phase and would go away, until I fell in love with a guy for the first time and realised that there's more to it than I thought. The reason I always thought I couldn't really be bisexual was that I always found the idea of having sex with a man somehow... well, repulsive. I hope no one misunderstands me: I don't find anything disgusting about other people doing it, I just cannot see myself doing it. I like making out with guys, I like kissing and handjobs and oral sex... but I don't think I'd ever want "real" sex with a guy. I just don't find it appealing, it makes me uneasy somehow and I JUST DON'T WANT TO DO IT.

And this is exactly the problem I'm having right now: I have been in a relationship with a man for the first time in my life for two months now. And everything is great, really. We like each other a lot, we have lots of fun together, I really like being with him and I like being intimate with him. If it was up to me, everything could stay exactly the way it is, but HE does not think that way. He wants more, he wants to do things with me that I don't feel ready doing and that I think I will never be ready to do. He keeps making advances towards me, keeps trying to talk me into trying it... he doesn't understand why I don't want to do it. He thinks I've been brainwashed into thinking that sex is something dirty and that I secretly want it but just don't allow myself to want it, which I know is not true. He was really understanding and patient at first but I know that he is getting frustrated and it's starting to stress me out because I feel I'm not good enough and I can't give him what he wants. Every time we are together I'm scared that he might try again and I'd have to reject him again.

I don't know if we can go on like this. I don't know why I'm so weird and why I'm making such a big fuss about this but I don't want to do it and I don't know how I could change that. So either I have to give in one day and do something I don't want to do or we'll have to break up... or find another solution.

Please help? :icon_sad:

2. Erick

There are plenty of people that don't enjoy sex despite of sexual orientation.

You're not abnormal and you don't have to change. Just make sure you let your boyfriend know that you don't want sex and to respect your decision.

If he breaks up because you don't want to have sex, what good is he? I don't wish to sound harsh, but that makes him seem as if he only wanted sex with you (if he breaks up with you for that reason). Enjoy your life, don't change and always be yourself :slight_smile:

Good luck !

3. Lear

Hey, thank you for kind answer! :slight_smile:

I understand where you're coming from but I think I kind of understand him because sex obviously matters a lot to him and it must be frustrating for him. If I was in a relationship with a girl and she wouldn't want to have sex with me ever, I honestly don't know if I could do it... for a few months, sure... but always? I don't know. So I understand him somehow, I guess.

I don't know if I'm weird for not at least trying it? I'm definitely not asexual or anything. I like sex. I like having sex with girls and I like making out with guys and all that other stuff... but just not real, actual sex. I don't know why it repels me so much. Technically it's not any different... but I don't think I could do it. I don't know why.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Um...handjobs and oral sex still count as "real actual sex", It's actually a misconception that gay men enjoy anal sex. In fact I think only 60% of gay men out there engage in it regularly and many dislike it completely and never add it to their sex lives. Besides you can't even have 'real' sex with a man; anal sex is regarded as just 'foreplay' between straight couples and a man who has anal sex is still 'technically a virgin' regardless if he does it with a woman or a man.

You like sex, you just don't like anal sex which is a completely normal and even common way for most gay/bisexual men to feel. He feels differently about liking anal sex, but that's just one part of sex that he might crave so you're not compatible. There are plenty of gay/bi men who love having sex with men without anal or penetration.

5. Lear

I didn't know that. .__. Not wanting it was the reason I thought I wasn't REALLY bisexual for years... because I thought that if I was, I would want to have sex that way!

For HIM everything we do is "great" but not he says he wants to have REAL sex with me.

In his opinion I can't know if I don't like it if I don't give it a try. But I don't know if I can try something that I feel so negative about.

6. AKTodd

Fallingdown7 already covered the fact that not all gay/bi men like anal sex and that any activity where you're expecting to get arousal and orgasm counts as 'real' sex (although opinions differ on this).

Getting back to your issue, you don't indicate whether your issue is with topping, bottoming, or both. If it's with bottoming, then maybe buy a prostate massager and some lube and take some time by yourself to masturbate while trying it and see what you think of the experience (Massagers are thinner than a real penis and should be easier for you to insert). If you enjoy it, then get a dildo of around the size of your boyfriends penis (or just an average penis if he's on the large side - avg is about 5.5-6.5 long) and try that and see what you think of it. If you enjoy that, then consider whether you might enjoy doing it with your BF. When considering toys always make sure to get something with a flange or other design feature that will prevent it from going all the way inside and getting lost. You really don't want that visit to the ER to explain what happened.

If it turns out you don't enjoy anal penetration at all and still don't want to do it, that's fine. But then you and your BF may be incompatible in this area and will need to work out if you can find some other way to meet this want in him or get him to accept that it's simply not your thing. Or you may be incompatible.

If it's topping we're talking about, then again get some sex toys and learn to use them on him. He gets the penetration he's wanting, you don't have to penetrate him directly, and with a bit of practice you may even find that you can do things with the toys and the rest of you (you have more options of position and motion when using toys than when penetrating someone yourself) that will make him more than happy to play that way rather than doing 'basic' anal sex.

Hope this helps,

Todd

7. nexusll

nexusll Guest

It's true that not all gay men like anal sex, but only 60% do it? Haha, it's even laughable, it's much more likely to be around 95%. Anal sex as foreplay is something I have never ever heard off, no one goes into all that just for minor arousement.
    For me and most men, anal is considered the key of sex. That's probably what your partner thinks too.
    AKTodd already gave you good advice on experimenting with yourself in order to find more accurately how you feel about it. I don't mean to pressure you into doing something you don't want to, but if you're really not ready to try it you should drop your partner. You and him can't work without that sexual compatibility, you're already seeing the downsides. It's not worth it to torture both of you.

8. method

I agree with the general sentiment that you should both do what's best for you. You can decide it just won't work, or if you are both willing to give some of the things AKTodd has suggested you might find a happier solution that allows you to both be sexually satisfied and together.

I add nothing to the conversation except to point out my inner academic is cringing at seemingly random statistics being pulled out of thin air haha.

Are you sure your source is reliable?

[​IMG]

9. PatrickPH

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

By the percentage I mean more so the number of gay men who value it, not necessarily 'don't do it at all'. So those people could be doing it and either be disliking it or feel indifferent to it.

It's becoming more common in the gay community to count oral sex as a equal sexual act or a 'loss of virginity' even if they do anal sex later, and this is rather common at EC as well. People who think oral sex isn't sex are way the minority on this website (otherwise they should be fucking women instead of other men since the 'key of sex' factually refers to reproduction and not penetration in general).

Also, I said STRAIGHT people consider it to be foreplay, and you can find that fact everywhere on the internet and in real life (especially catholic schools). Straight people think that it only counts as 'real sex' if a penis penetrates a vagina. Many straight couples have anal sex to 'save themselves for marriage' or to 'play around' if they think they aren't 'ready' for traditional intercourse.

#10 Fallingdown7, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  11. Lear

Thanks everyone for your support and advice! I really appreciate it.

I had this one in-depth conversation with my boyfriend not long ago, which somehow lead me to question basically everything, about myself and about our sex life in general. I thought that our sex life was great but now I'm scared that he does not think so. He didn't specifically say that he wasn't satisfied but he he said that he would like to "really" sleep with me, be even closer to me, and that he would be happy if I decided to at least give it a try. He emphasised that I don't have to do anything that I don't want to do and that we can take our time and that he will make sure I'm comfortable and that he doesn't want me to feel pressured to do anything. He can say that all he wants, I'll still feel like I'm not good enough. He isn't asking for any weird or exotic stuff but almost every time he tries something, I end up saying no. There are a lot of things that I don't feel ready for and that are on my "maybe someday"-list. My bf asked me why it made a difference. His reasoning is that when I'm theoretically up for something then why does time matter. But I can't explain it. I guess I have to be in a certain mood to try new things. When I just do it like that I feel pressured and then I can't enjoy it. At the moment I'm mostly pressuring myself because I can't keep myself from thinking that he will get more and more unsatisfied and unhappy with our sex life because I'm boring and stuck-up and only like vanilla sex.

12. Mrcake

I don't know how old you are, Lear, but I think that you are making the right decisions. You should listen to what your heart tells you. Also, I agree with AKTodd in his advice. You may want to rethink your relationship with your bf if you feel sexually incompatible. You may feel like you aren't ready to do things, which is fine. The key thing is to think about whether you see yourself actually having anal sex with him some day. If you don't see yourself having anal sex, and your bf doesn't respect you for that, then your relationship is pointless. I think you are making smart decisions right now. I also think that your bf is being very understanding and is willing to wait for you to be ready -- he seems like he wants to keep the relationship going.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe you should just find some gay friends.

14. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't do anything that you're not comfortable with. I'm a Kinsey 3 (on average). I like sex with both men and women, but there are some days where the thought or having sex with another guy turns me off completely, it's weird on it changes so rapidly day-to-day for me sometimes.

Give it time because it seems that you're still trying to decide what you identify as and what you like, and if he really loves you, he should respect your decision.

15. Sek

Sek

I don't know if you're still unsure but I thought I'd tell you something that might comfort you.

I'm in a relationship with a guy who cares about me. One day we were on his bed kissing, he made slow advances like getting on top of me, etc. All throughout this he was asking me if I was comfortable and okay with what he was doing. The first time this happened I denied having sex with him because I wasn't ready, he was completely okay with this. A few times later I felt comfortable enough to have sex with him, however I wasn't sure if I wanted anal or not. I was surprised to find that he wasn't ready to have anal so we stuck to other types of sex. We now have a great sex life that doesn't include anal (although touching that area does happen during foreplay).

My point is that we're an example of a couple that enjoys sex without anal because we both prefer other types of sex, and we both care about each other enough to respect the other's limits. If he is pushing beyond what you're comfortable with, then it sounds like he prioritises his sexual fulfillment over your comfort. Maybe you should talk it out and draw a line telling him that you're not ready for it, if he respects that then great, if not then I think you should consider breaking the relationship. Sex should strengthen your relationship, not be an obstacle in it.

16. Lear

Things have changed a bit in the last three weeks and I guess I'm even more confused now. I thought it'd be a good idea to take a closer look at the subject, simply to get used to it and stop being so repulsed by it. I was trying to get a bit more comfortable with the subject but I feel like I ended up being a bit too comfortable with it, if that's possible. I still don't want to do it but I catch myself thinking about it again and again. My boyfriend and I don't see each other that much atm, so I'm basically horny and longing for him all the time. A few days ago I was masturbating and started thinking about how much I wanted him to fuck me and it made me come really hard. I felt great for a few seconds and then I felt disgusted by myself. I wonder what this is really saying about me, being so uncomfortable with something I should accept and enjoy.
    I keep saying that I don't think there's anything shameful or repulsive about this but that's what my mind is telling me, not what I'm really feeling, apparently.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Lear.

First, everyone is different, and what you want is what you want, and it isn't weird or odd or anything else. Second off, to whomever said otherwise, the quoted 40% number isn't far off as far as the percentage of gay men in relationships that do not have anal sex, ever. I've seen a number of studies and the numbers have ranged from 30 to 45%. So you're certainly not alone.

Now, though... let's look at your most recent post. First, I think you're making great progress and you should really give yourself credit and appreciation for being openminded enough to explore these feelings and why you have them.

It might be useful to understand that a lot of what we feel, particularly in regard to gay issues and gay sex, is very deeply rooted in issues in the unconscious that we have no direct access to. So most likely, your aversion is rooted in some sort of belief, experience, or memory... could be some fleeting thing someone said... that created this sense of disgust.

I'd say that's a pretty likely possibility given your experience masturbating while fantasizing about being anally penetrated. The arousal you had while masturbating is the authentic feeling; the aftereffect after orgasm is actually a hardwired response of a dramatic drop in neurotransmitter levels after ejaculation. From an evolutionary perspective, if we didn't have that response, we would never stop fucking. :slight_smile:

What I can tell you is that the disgust response attenuates over time. Many people have this when masturbating, initially, and eventually it goes away completely. I suspect the same thing will happen with this.

I echo Todd's recommendation that you consider trying some anal play... just using your fingers to start, maybe a small dildo. It will probably give you some of the disgust response, but it will also probably feel really good. :slight_smile: And I think if you simply spend some time, your perception will start to change.

Of course... this is all dependent on what you're comfortable with. Stretching your boundaries and going into a little discomfort is a good thing. Pushing yourself way beyond your boundaries, not so much. So just think about where that "edge of the envelope" is and go up to it, but not over, if that makes sense.

I hope you'll continue sharing about this as this is an experience many, many people have and it's really healthy and helpful (both for you and for others reading this) to talk about it to take the shame away.

18. Lear

I know it would be logical to try things out with myself but I can't brink myself to do that. :/ I'm probably still far too uptight to do that... I prefer sticking to the "conventional" ways.
    When my boyfriend and I got together I was a bit insecure because I wasn't that experienced but she showed me some things and it was alright. And then we had this conversation/argument where I told him I wasn't ready to go further and that I was feeling pressured. He promised me that we wouldn't try anything anymore as long as I didn't specifically say that I was ok with it. Initially this took a lot of pressure away from me but now I have this problem where I think that I actually want him to go further and don't know how to tell him. I cannot articulate these things. There is no way of phrasing this without it sounding silly or dirty. How do people manage to say what they want? :icon_sad: